Sturdy/Reliable Pencil Kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon3

Who makes the best quality, and by that I mean durable/usable pencil mechanisms? I'm not worried so much about the external finish, which I can get rhodium on most styles, but I'm trying to figure out where I can get a durable mechanism.

So far I've been using Rockler/Woodcraft kits in 7mm, and I see the same stuff available online, but I'm curious if there is a particular style of pencil, or manufacturer that has a durable mechanism.

I've made a 5.6mm Artist's/Shop Pencil, and the kit is fun, but not the best for scribbling notes all day long.

I've worn out 2 of the generic kit mechanisms so far.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Jon,
I am not sure if you are looking for a kit or a finished product, but I use this for most of my marking and drawing and it seems to hold up pretty well.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11215&filter=pencil

Mike

jthompson1995

Any of the kits that use the Schmidt mechanism (atlas, euro, cigar) are very reliable, though I've only seen it as a twist mechanism.

If you want a click pencil, I've found the slimline pro from Penn State (cheaper at woodturningz) to be quite reliable, though not many options for plating.

My favorite looking pencil is the pentel pencil. I haven't made one (yet) but there is a tutorial in the library here.

Penmaker1

I get most of mine through www.woodturnerscatalog.com. I have never had a problem with any of there products. Mechanisms work good and don't slip. All Parts fit together well. I always mic every part before I finish. But I am quite Anal that way.

Jon3

Originally posted by jthompson1995
<br />Any of the kits that use the Schmidt mechanism (atlas, euro, cigar) are very reliable, though I've only seen it as a twist mechanism.

If you want a click pencil, I've found the slimline pro from Penn State (cheaper at woodturningz) to be quite reliable, though not many options for plating.

My favorite looking pencil is the pentel pencil. I haven't made one (yet) but there is a tutorial in the library here.

I'm not tied to clicky pencils at all. I just want something that I'm not going to have to replace every few months. Esp. if I buy a nice plating.

I'll pick up some of those and give them a try.

gerryr

Berea Perfect Fit with the Schmidt pencil mechanism. Available at Beartooth Woods or Arizona Silhouette.

Jr. Gentleman pencil from CSUSA.

workinforwood

The 5.6 is the only sturdy pencil in my opinion. I can sell those babies all day long just on the "Awe" factor alone. Women seem to buy more than men, I guess the men leave the woman to do the christmas shopping. The 5.6 is not just a pencil, it's a self defence weapon and an all in one hand workout for the fingers. I tell them to brace themselves when I put this bad boy in their hands. Perhaps I'm just a really good salesman. I can sell em twice as fast as I can build them.

redfishsc

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />The 5.6 is the only sturdy pencil in my opinion. I can sell those babies all day long just on the "Awe" factor alone. Women seem to buy more than men, I guess the men leave the woman to do the christmas shopping. The 5.6 is not just a pencil, it's a self defence weapon and an all in one hand workout for the fingers. I tell them to brace themselves when I put this bad boy in their hands. Perhaps I'm just a really good salesman. I can sell em twice as fast as I can build them.

PREACH!

That's by long, far, and away the best pencil out there.

I have NOT AT ALL had good luck for "click" pencils with
1)PSI (the slimline is almost good, the "power pencil" is a hideous waste of time, wood, metal, money, and brain cells).

2)Berea (again, slimlines almost work)
3)CSA (the Father Sing pencil is the only CSA I have done but it's the same mechanism as the slimline I believe, and it sucks-- just ask my customers[B)]). I buy my Artist Sketch Pencils from CSA, though.

4)or ANY of the resellers of ANY of the above.

In other words, as far as click pencils go, modify the Pentel.

However, I did not know that the Perfect-Fit used a Schmidt tranny. I will add this to my "try this" category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom