Stupid Question of the Year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

I should have asked this before sanding all the tubes, but is there an easier/quicker way to sand the brass tubes before gluing than with a piece of paper by hand? Surly someone here has a better idea. I just finished sanding tubes for 200 slims. UGH! :redface::hammer::rolleyes:
Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, here's heresy:
I've never sanded a tube.

If you MUST do something, wouldn't it make sense to drop them in a bottle of acetone?

You're removing the oils, clean brass will hold onto glue just fine.

Can I prove it? No, just a few thousand pens that stayed together.

ctubbs

Thanks everyone. Why, oh why didn't I ask this much earlier? Just simply clean the brass, enough tooth to grab the epoxy. Great ideas. Thanks you each.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and wonderful holidays to everyone else.
Charles

mrcook4570

I no longer sand tubes, but when I did, I used a long metal rod, slid the tubes over it, held the rod at a 45 degree angle, and made a pass across the (running) belt sander. Could do a few hundred tubes in just a few minutes (and without the hand cramps caused by hand sanding the tubes).

Sanding the tubes WILL increase the surface area for gluing. However, it is overkill and not necessary provided that you are able to achieve near 100% glue coverage AFTER the tube has been pushed into place.

I just slip them on a 1/4 " drift, or punch Roll it on a pic. of sand paper, using my finger to cause a little drag, but rolls. two sweeps and I move on to the next one.
It takes about 5 min. to due 15 or 20 sets of tubes

GoatRider

I just stick it off the end of my mandrel without a tailstock, with a step bushing if it's bigger than my mandrel, and spin it up. The side pressure of the sanding spins up the tube enough to sand it.

And I only do it if the tube has a "patina".

sbell111

I use a foredom tool with a small sanding drum. Is it
absolutely necessary? Maybe, maybe not. However, before I added this to the process, I had occasional slipped tubes. Since it was added, all has been well. It is super easy to do and takes just a few moments, so I see no point in stopping.

Drstrangefart

Interesting thread. I wonder why all the experts tell us to sand. Is it a case of better safe than sorry?

Probably a combination of factors. I haven't sanded the first tube I wasn't about to paint. Problems are few, but if I was working on say a $25 kit I probably wouldn't take too many chances.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Slide them on a Philips screwdriver or dowel and sand on an upright belt sander. With the dowel, a piece of tape near your fingers will keep the spinning tube from cutting your fingers or so i have heard.

ren-lathe

Interesting thread. I wonder why all the experts tell us to sand. Is it a case of better safe than sorry?

By roughing the surface the glue has a better chance to "bite". The kit companies do not want to hear how the tube did not hold, so is mostly "insurance". If the tube does not break loose while turning it will not come loose when writing.

Dale

JimB

By roughing the surface the glue has a better chance to "bite". The kit companies do not want to hear how the tube did not hold, so is mostly "insurance". If the tube does not break loose while turning it will not come loose when writing.

Dale

I also think many new turners are not always very good and getting complete glue coverage so sanding will help them.

rsulli16

hi
i never had a tube break loose while turning, once in a while while truing the ends with a barrel trimer it has happened to me.
I've also thought maybe you didnt have to sand them either.
Lately have been spraying accelerator down the holes in the barrel then sliding the tube in, be quick about it. So far no problems
another two cents worth
Sulli

Top Bottom