Stupid Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Is an End Mill, a Pen Mill, and a Universal Pen Barrel Trimming Kit one and the same? I've seen all the phrases used on this site and was wondering if they refer to the same monster.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
They are not the same.

An endmill is a shank-type Milling cutter, a cutting tool used in industrial milling applications. It is distinguished from the drill bit, in its application, geometry, and manufacture. Whereas a drill bit can only cut in the axial direction, a milling bit can generally cut in all directions, though some cannot cut axially.

A pen mill and a barrel trimmer are different names for the same tool, which essentially provides a means of squaring the ends of a pen barrel to the axis of the glued-in tube.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nope, my foot was, apparently, well buried in my mouth.

I think your picking nits, but that's what we are here for.:D:D:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DCBluesman

Oh, sure. I finally get to make my FIRST POST about a tool and it's a "nit". I see how you are! [:p]

Let's call it a "toolette", since it's pretty small for a "tool".

And I've always said, "You want info on a toolette (or something like that) go see Lou!!"

M

Mudder

Oh, sure. I finally get to make my FIRST POST about a tool and it's a "nit". I see how you are! [:p]

While Lou is technically correct, I have seen and heard of the barrel trimmer or pen mill referred to as an end mill. After all is said and done what are you doing? Milling the ends of the pen. Therefore the "nit" be picked, I would not fault you for calling it an "end mill"

2008227172512_einsteintongue.jpg

Ed,

I got your back buddy!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by alamocdc

That's not a very flattering photo, Scott. BTW, I had you pegged as much younger.[}:)]

This side is a lot better looking than my "other side", but if you would like I'll show you that to. [:0]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by ed4copies

Let's call it a "toolette", since it's pretty small for a "tool".

And I've always said, "You want info on a toolette (or something like that) go see Lou!!"

Are you quoting Dawn?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

I can't believe my UK friend haven't stepped forward on this thread what with the talk of toolettes and loos. [8D]

So, what you are saying is Lou and "Toolette" are pretty much synonymous???????

I know Lou has frequently said he is not much of a "BIG tool guy!' But, I thought that was probably just to keep wayward senators at bay!!

gerryr

And once again folks, Ed, Cav, Lou and Mudder, with a bit of help from Billy, take a topic "south.":D

But I know that Mudder is supporting Ed for only one reason, in hopes of getting his ONE FREE PEN PER CUSTOMER.

Top Bottom