Stupid mistake...(Update...problem fixed!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

Does anybody know of a way to get poly glued (and harden) tubes out of a wooden blank without damaging and being able to reuse the blank???

I usually throw in a couple drops of CA with the poly and don't have a sliding of the tube problem, but no not this time, doing some pens for a show and they looked fine the night before, but this morning two different pieces are out about 1/4 inch.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

acetone; along with denatured alcohol and mineral spirits is a solvent for polyurethane adhesives.

You could try soaking the blank in one of these, but no guarentees I have never tried it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Depending what style pen you are making, you probably do not need to worry about the 1/4". Either leave the blank without a tube for the last 1/4" (unless the pressure fit piece is extremely short, like the finial for a slimline) or even reduce the length of the barrel (you can easily shorten the top barrel of pens like the Jr Gent and Baron). Poly will soften with heat (from a blow dryer), but I'm hesitant to suggest heating a blank sufficiently to remove the tube, expecially if it is stabilized, resin, or an oily wood.

wayneis

I don't think that you can get it apart without wreaking it but you could square it up on your lathe and add a piece of contrasting wood to it. That to me at least would be your best bet.

Wayne

BogBean

I never had this walking tube problem when I used Gorilla brand glue
(maybejustlucky) but I got cheap last week and bought Elmers poly glue and now I have the walking tube problem. I am going back to the Gorilla when the Elmers is gone...

Fangar

Hello,

If it is a quarter inch, your best bet is to trim the tube flush on the protruding end, then add another piece of tube to the other side of the blank. Just push an overlength peice of tube, with glue and then once set trim off the ecexx just as you did on the original protruding side. I have done this before, and the result is a great fix.

Good luck,

Keep us posted.

James

kghinsr

Mike
poly glue will become soft when heated. warm the wood it will soften the glue and you should be able to move the tube back in and let it reharden. this has worked for me.
DO NOT MICROWAVE THE BLANK
use a heat gun or hair drier.
ken

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
This was asked not too lang ago .
I safely recovered the tubes and blanks from aan Antler pen that'grabbed the tubes while I was inserting twisting, removeing and reinserting the tubes to get good glue coverage.
Keep them soaking in some acetone until you can easily push them out with a rod, drill bit, bolt, whatevever.
It would help if you mentioned the kit in regards to length, therre is no lattitude on some pen styles in the bottom blank.
You won't get them out by drilling.
Let air dry for a day or two before you reuse the blanks.
Keep air circulating around them to evaporate the acetone.
Rescuff the tubes.

jenamison

The acetone (100%) worked perfect!!!!!!! Only took about 30 minutes, and the blanks are still in great condition! I was worried about how the blanks would turn out afterwards since they were stablized. Thanks for all the advise.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Mike & Jen -
I am glad it worked out for you.
One thing you need to remember.
If you do a glue up using CA (I do this often as I like the fact I can glue up a mixture of woods and turn the same day)You will lose the blank.I had an experience where I added an african blackood diagonal accent to a blank and did not get the placement of the tube where I wanted it.
I proceded to soak to get the tube out.
There was no need to use the rod, the blank became unglued.Since it had already been drilled I was able to reassemble but remember the same solvent that will free the tube can unglue the rest of the blank.
I have also done this with blanks glued with yellow glue and the blank stayed in tact.
Not a chemeist but realized actone has little or no effct on water based glues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom