Stuff that isn't wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsk

All things being equal, I'd be perfectly happy trying new kinds of wood or trying new things with wood. But all things aren't equal....my wife has noticed some of the non-wood type materials available and would like to see what some of them are like.

Flipping through the CSUSA / PSI catalog shows several types of plastic/acrylic type stuff. And it's almost time to put together another order anyways. So....Can anyone give me a run-down on what's what?

Which is the best to work with? What's the easiest to get started with? What's the difference between the various products?

And how do the non-wood type products get finished?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Berea Hardwoods has an Indroductory Kits 2 pieces of any 5 AA colors (10 pcs) for $30.00 + $4.00 shipping listed in their catalog. If you don’t have a catalog, just go to their web site http://www.Penkits.com And click on pen blanks, then Acrylic Acetate (AA) New Jumbo Size.

You won’t find those blanks listed in their introductory kits program on line, only in the catalog. If you and the wife see something you like, just ask for the into kit when ordering over the telephone, toll free 1-877-736-5487.

What ever colors you end up buying, no matter where. Would advise painting the pen tubes (brass), and giving them a day to dry before glueing into blank. I bought red, black, white, and yellow spray paint from wally world for $0.97/can.

Am sure others can recommend other type paint to use. I know from experience now to wait a day before glue ups! Also if you don’t paint your tubes, may not like the result of seeing brass, glue, and scratches from sanding tube through the blank.

My first experience with turning plastic, and pleased with the results. I used Old Guard scratch remover then Old Guard Auto Polish as a finish before buying a bottle of Hut Ultra Gloss. Really the Old Guard and Ultra Gloss a bit of an over kill if you use Micro Mesh.

Oh, and wife likes them too, she wants to keep them all.

Good luck with whatever plastic you folks decide to get!

fiferb

CSUSA has a discount for multiple blanks as well. I started with their celluloids. Just about any you get you'll want sharp tools and take light cuts until you get the feel of it. And turn your lathe up fast. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for the "plugs" guys.

Personally, if you don't buy from me - use Beartoothwoods. His blanks are round - eliminates one of the difficulties of new acrylic turning.

Oh, and CSUSA may have SOME celluloid in their blanks, but they are mostly acrylic. Same as most other vendors.

ADVERTISING starts here:
The "Cats" are the easiest resin I have ever turned, but they come in a bar, which requires a bandsaw (or telling me exactly what you want).

And, YES, SOME of the materials I import are for pens that will be pricey - you wouldn't WANT EVERYONE turning them. So, they are a little more challenging - SOME are darn challenging - but I WILL tell you this.

Nolan

I think your best source for non-wood products is Ed (ed4copies) as he can explain the differences to you. He also sell blanks that the members speak highly of. As far as finishing the blank I suggest using Micro Mesh or even reslly fine wet/dry sandpaper then getting the Novus products from Mike and Linda. I personally use the #2 to finish my blanks after sanding with Micro Mesh. You can use the #3 first if you dont have MM as it will work like fine sandpaper then use the #2.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32307

PR_Princess

Larry,

Ed (like the rest of Wisconsin) is at home glued to the TV set watching the Packers. I am sure that he will get back to you as soon as the game is over and he recovers.[8D]

rsk

Originally posted by ed4copies

Thanks for the "plugs" guys.

Personally, if you don't buy from me - use Beartoothwoods. His blanks are round - eliminates one of the difficulties of new acrylic turning.

I think being new to acrylic, starting from a rounded blank sounds good. I think I'll add a couple onto my next Beartooth order....I was close to putting one together there anyway.

Top Bottom