Stuck nova chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jocat54

I picked up a used Rikon 70-100 today for "DEAL?". The lathe is just over a year old (by receipt) and in good shape.

The problem is- a nova precision chuck stuck on the spindle. The previous owner broke the indexing pin trying to get it off. I have been soaking it with WD40 and giving it a couple of good raps with a mallet using the chuck adjusting bars and trying to hold the spindle with hand. No luck.

I am thinking about welding up a two headed bolt and clamping it in the chuck and then use my 1/2" impact wrench to jar it while trying to hold the spindle with my hand. I think my biggest problem is trying to hold the spindle. Don't want tear anything up. May try using and old fan belt to hold the spindle.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Hmm... sounds familiar. I did a similar thing right after I got my Rikon. I wonder if it's a Rikon thing? LOL. (that part about it being a Rikon thing was a joke, :biggrin:.)

I THINK what I did was to put some vice grips on the indexing dial so that the spindle couldn't rotate (after breaking off a tooth from the spindle lock gear and the spindle lock pin), and then I clamped a long piece of wood crossways in the chuck jaws and tapped on the end of it until it finally came loose. By long, I mean two or three feet. It works like having a cheater on a pipe wrench. Once you get it off, cut a washer out of a milk jug and put it on there so that the chuck can't jam against the base of the spindle, and you're good to go.

Have fun with it. There's nothing like a jammed chuck to help you invent new curse words, :biggrin:.

Oh yeah, on that broken spindle lock pin... Go on Rikon's website to the customer service area, and get their email address. Write them and explain what's up. They sent me a new one even though it was my fault that it was broken. Maybe they'll do the same for you.

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
Hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't do it, Hit it with a BIGGER Hammer!!!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
here's my idea .. feel free to shoot it down, as even in my mind it sounds over-complicated..

But I was thinking of a long threaded rod small enough to go through the headstock and
come out the other side of the chuck. also small enough that the nuts will also just pass
through. BUT .. the threaded rod should be a LEFT hand thread. (the nuts, too)
And a piece of rubber firm enough to take some stress, but soft enough to compress.

If you put the rubber in the middle of the nuts and tighten them, the rubber will
expand outward to grip the inside of the spindle. (similar to the way the duck call
kits work to grip the blanks from the inside)

If the threaded rod is an eye bolt, even better.. you can put something through the
eye to give you leverage. But bending it where it comes out of the spindle will also
give you something to grip.

But the left hand thread will mean that as you're trying to loosen the chuck, the
rubber is expanding more, giving you a better grip on the spindle. Otherwise the more
pressure you put on turning the chuck, the more it will loosen the nuts on the rod ..

Put a long piece of wood in the chuck for leverage, and turn the threaded rod hanging
out the end of the spindle. Seems like it should work in my mind, but I don't know how
easy it is to get left handed threaded rod, either.

Ok, was that a Rube Goldberg answer?

workinforwood

Don't hit it with a hammer, you are going to ruin the spindle head!!! Heat it with a propane torch to expand the metal and it will come off with minimal effort. This is not a Rikon thing, it's a normal thing. The chisels wacking on the bowl block have slowly fused the two metals together..not fused as in welded, but friction fused super tight with two really flat surfaces. Go at it easy. You might have to use some big wrenches and risk possible marring of the spindle and or chuck from the teeth of the tools, but don't wack it with a hammer. Once you get the chuck off, measure the width of your spindle. Grab a scrap little piece of 1/8" plywood or hardboard. Drill a hole in the wood to fit your spindle. Cut around the hole to create a washer. It doesn't have to look pretty or be totally even all around, it just needs to fit. Always put this washer on before you put your chuck on. The chuck will not get stuck anymore. Works every time. I know this, because like you and so many of the rest of us..been there done that! Now that you did this..you'll never forget to put that wooden washer on first. Use the washer for face plates too.

mounting a piece of wood in the chuck for leverage is a good idea. Heat it up, clamp the spindle, open the jaws, use a long hard piece of wood to leverage the chuck. Pull down towards your body is the proper direction..counter clockwise.

Last edited:

bitshird

I agree with Jeff, heat it with a propane torch, and use a long piece of hard wood as a lever, GOOD LUCK, also is you don't want to make your own washer, Rich Herrell, rherrelll (forum name)makes some.

titan2

The problem is- a nova precision chuck stuck on the spindle. The previous owner broke the indexing pin trying to get it off. I have been soaking it with WD40 and giving it a couple of good raps with a mallet using the chuck adjusting bars and trying to hold the spindle with hand. No luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

John[/quote]

John,

Go down to your automotive store and see if you can get a can of 'PB Blast' and squirt that in all the open areas on the spindle you can reach.......let it soak (times vary), may have to do it a couple of times.....that stuff works great.........WD40 hasn't a chance!!!

I've taken more rusted bolts off of vehicles (without breaking) using this stuff, than you'd believe. It's great for all kinds of stuck items. Try it, you'll like it!

Barney

Last edited:

jocat54

Thanks for all the replies. Got it off--really was easy using Dow's suggestion of vise grips around the indexing dial and one little tap and it was off. I don't have much strength in my hands anymore (severe carpal tunnel) and think that was the whole problem.

It did has a plastic washer behind it--but I think I will make one out of hardboard.

John

dow

Congratulations! Glad it worked for you. When I got mine stuck, I like to have never got it off. Lots of grunting, ugly looks, banged up fingers, hunting around on the internet, etc., etc., etc.

hewunch

Sounds like you need one of these
obj1442geo790pg30p20.png

Top Bottom