Stuck Drill Bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

This is the 2nd time this has happened - I'm drilling the blank, letting the bit cool (so I think), as I get to where it is just about to come through the other side, wham - stuck in the blank.
The last time I was able to use pliers and "brute" strength, but this time it seems really jammed in there. I'm using walnut wood.
Any ideas??:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Anytime you are drilling out a blank you need to continually clean the drill. You need to drill in a bit then back the bit out and clear the wood chips. Then advance the drill again and repeat. Do you do this? If not you probably had a very hot blank and drill that was packed with chips. We all do it to an extent trying to hurry this part of the process but you can't. You can definitely get your drill back out try twisting it backwards and it should screw right out. Use a vise grip if necessary. Then don't try to drill in one shot and don't let the drill cool in the blank. Hope this helps you.

Use 3 in 1 oil or wd40 to lubricate your drill bit while drilling, this will help keep the heat down and not have this issue. Back the bit out fully after each 1/2 of drilling to let it clear its self out and add more oil. Just remember to clean the inside of the blank out before you try and glue.

Tom T

What size the bid is can get messed up by the vice grips. Ask me how's know that. So always keep up with the size of the bit. You may not be able to read it later.
If it does not come loose, try putting it in the freezer for 30 min that should help.
I have only gotten mine stuck in acrylic.

Not sure about the oil it might screw up the finish.

jttheclockman

Sue

Most of the posts here are about what you should do to not let this happen and I agree with them all except the one about oil or even WD40. Not for drilling wood. Asking for more trouble down the road. My opinion.

To get the bit out from what you have now, I suggest you spin the blank and not the bit. It is wood and it should break free without too much effort. Unlike acrylic melting onto a bit which would be harder. If the blank is square it is even easier. You do not say how you did the drilling, on a lathe or a drill press. If it is on the lathe, free the blank from the headstock. Back the tailstock up so you have room and work the blank forward and backward by hand to see if it will free up. If necessary you can use a pair of channel lock pliers. Wrap the blank with some tape or a piece of cloth.

The same method will apply for if in a drill press. Being wood and walnut is very soft so it should break free. Then follow some of the above suggestions when drilling your blanks. Cleaning the drilled hole and bit of debris is a must. That is the most important rule to follow along with keep the bit cool. Also keep the bit sharp. A sharp bit will drill cooler than a dull one. Good luck.

aplpickr

I use a pistol grip air gun with a 4" long, small diameter snout. I keep a continuous stream of air blowing at the exit hole of the chips. This keeps the bit cool and helps the chips get out. Keep backing the bit back and forth.:rolleyes: This works for all woods including afr blackwood. Tip of airgun needs to be within a 1/2" of bit entrance point. Gun is available at HF for a few $.

mick

If its on the lathe the way a"friend" of mine handles this is to loosen the tail stock and using the hand wheel extend the quill as far as far as it will go. Lock the tail stock down and retract the quill again using the hand wheel. This will pull the bit from the blank. You may have to do this a couple of times depending on how deep your into the blank. This had worked very well for my "friend". He says YMMV!

suefox51

Thanks for all the suggestions - I was able to back it out of the blank by holding the bit with the vise grips and turning the blank off the bit. Needless to say, I am now taking more time with the drilling so as not to have this happen again :)

Thanks again to all

duke851

Sounds like the flutes of the drill bit are getting jammed solid. Try peck drilling on troublesome materials. Go in a little then take the drill out of the part completely and clean the flutes, then repeat.(the more increments the safer). You shouldn't have any trouble then. Once the flutes Get jammed to swarf will push outwards until it locks solid or something gives. Letting the blank to cool doesn't fix the problem only the symptom.

Hope this helps

Colin

Top Bottom