Stuck Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hi Jake's Dad,
Some use wax or BLO to coat the bushings before use. Dang, I just had an idea. (You have no idea how unusual that is!) Try rubbing the bushings down with Lou's TSW before use. If you don't have any TSW, you should get some. Seriously, Ren wax or car wax likely would do reasonably well, I just like TSW. Also, Lou gives me a kick back when I push the product! (Note tongue in cheek on that part.)

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
A better question is why is it getting there?
If the ends are milled there shouldn't be any gap to allow for the glue to get in there.
When it happens I twist the bushings off with a pair of pliers.

JimGo

My problem is usually from a little CA getting stuck between the tube and the bushing. To fix this, I usually just use Bill Baumbeck's technique; slide the bushing onto the mandrel so it JUST makes it past the end of the mandrel, then apply a bit of pressure. Since CA isn't all that strong for that kind of stress, it will crack and the two will separate pretty easily.

Of course, you want to apply gentle pressure so you don't mash the threads or bend the mandrel!

Skordog

Just had that same problem tonight when I was making a Baron. You can't use Bill's trick because these bushing are inside of the pen tube.

I found that if I gave the bushings a quick rap with a small hammer it would break the seal enough to twist them loose.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
A little trick is to "skew" off the bushings to get rid of the thin film of CA.A twist of the bushings will normally break the seal.
I have had the CA take part of the blank with it on certain woods.
(usually softer ones.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom