Stuck Bushing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrigg

I have a Sierra Bushing CA-glued into one end of what promised to be a pretty nice looking pen. After about 45 minutes of messing with it, including the use of a skew to trim the barrel away from any glue built up on the outside of the bushing, plus acetone, pliers, a punch and some mild profanity, throwing the pen and bushing away has moved up to number two on my list of options, immediately behind letting it sit overnight with acetone painted on the inside of the barrel where it meets the stepped part of the bushing. On the remote possibility I'm not the first one to have ever done this, I've come looking for viable suggestions. I suspect stronger profanity would not be productive, but any other options will be considered.[8]

Thank you for your time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Harry,
I have not tried this but it might work to plug the end of the bushing with wax then stand it on the bushing end and fill the tube with acetone. let it set a while then try to pull it off when the ca has had a chance to soften. Good luck I did the same thing on a flat top american and ended up turning the wood off the tube then heating the tube and bushing to melt the ca out to save the bushing.

Randy_

Try putting a little heat on the bushing. Easiest way to do that would be with a propane torch. If you don't have a torch, you could even use the burner on your stove. As I recall CA starts to soften up at around 200°. If you are careful about it, you mught even get the bushings oout without damaging the blank.

hrigg

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the heat a try a little later on when I've had a chance to wake up a bit.

wudnhed

Put a latex or rubber glove on the hand that is holding the blank for traction, visegrip on the bushing, twist....bend up and down slightly....twist again and keep twisting while cussing. I have had multiple success with this [}:)][:D][}:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />Put a latex or rubber glove on the hand that is holding the blank for traction, visegrip on the bushing, twist....bend up and down slightly....twist again and keep twisting while cussing. I have had multiple success with this [}:)][:D][}:)]

A Sweet thang like you, I bet cussing is like "shoot, hecky darn, and fooey!"

King of Losers, Cav

angboy

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />Put a latex or rubber glove on the hand that is holding the blank for traction, visegrip on the bushing, twist....bend up and down slightly....twist again and keep twisting while cussing. I have had multiple success with this [}:)][:D][}:)]

A Sweet thang like you, I bet cussing is like "shoot, hecky darn, and fooey!"

King of Losers, Cav

You wouldn't be saying that just b/c she's female would you Cav?[}:)][}:)]

wudnhed

Oh William, I was young once and learned all those words in English and Spanish. BTW, they sound much better...... er I mean worse in Spanish[}:)]

wudnhed

Oh William, I was young once and learned all those words in English and Spanish. BTW, they sound much better...... er I mean worse in Spanish[}:)]

Rmartin

I would recommend patience, acetone, a little wiggle, patience, more acetone, a little more wiggle, and lastly, patience.

Not that I would follow my own advice mind you [:D]

hrigg

Thank you to everyone who responded. "We" successfully removed the stuck bushing this afternoon, and saved the pen. That was kinda special to me, because it came from a tree that had grown in my parents' yard years ago. I had always been told it was ash, so I was a little surprised to see the flame pattern in it.

ash3.jpg

It finally surrendered to heat, wiggling it back and forth, yesterday's acetone and patience.

Once again, thank you all very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom