Struggling with my first closed end kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tieflyer

I recently purchased the PSI Big Grabber mandrel set and the included closed end kits. Started with the Olympic and managed to figure out the lower barrel, even though the instructions were horrid. Got the upper barrel sorted with the the help of some folks online and now need to redo the cap end. This is the piece with a very small threaded insert glued into a shallow 7mm hole. What is the best way to square the end of that piece? I can mount in pen jaws, drill, glue and then square while in the Chuck. This would eliminate needing to remount anything but it would tie up a Chuck. I can do the same with my drillpress and blank jig, except it would have to come out for gluing. People have said they use the offset jig but doesn't that only work with open tube blanks? The instructions say to "use a sander" but that assumes the hole and hardware are both square to the outside of the blank. I went through several of the library tutorials but they don't address this problem. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious and one of you can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Dan Masshardt

It's interesting I don't recall too many people posting pens made with them those newish psi closed end kits.

I've made closed end pens but not that type.

KenV

Jeff

Had to go to the PSI site and to look and see what you have in a "big grabber"

I read that it is a friction drive for 7 and 8 mm tubes.

I have preference to register on the inside of the tube for treating the ends of blanks. I usually use one of Rick herrell's end sanding jigs or an piloted end mill.

If the tube is short, the pilot shaft may need to be cut shorter, or a short pilot purchased. CUSA has short pilot shafts for the Whiteside mill on clearance.

Factor in that I have no visualization of what you are doing as I make closed end pens from only one end.

I will also point you to Don Ward's tutorial.

Top Bottom