Stripped/Crossed Plastic Threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmonk

I'm a big fan of the nicer Gentleman's kits, but I've had lots of trouble with their plastic threads. Last night I made my first alternate ivory pen. I was excited about it so I went way overboard and spent lots of time making sure the size was exact and the finish had no flaws, but when I pressed it together I found that the cap was already hard to thread on and really wants to cross-thread. If you're very gentle and make sure everything lines up exactly right it twists on like it should and you wouldn't know it's a problem, but obviously this isn't something I can sell.

Does anyone have any advice on how to "repair" this kind of thing? I'll definitely start threading parts together before I press the kit from now on, but I don't think that's even going to fix the problem because a customer who doesn't know any better could very easily destroy the threads in there (and I wouldn't say it's entirely their fault.)

mrcook4570

I've found that the gent threads don't really like a gentle touch. Let the cap fall onto the threads. Its own weight will seat it and then will thread very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom