Streamline pen slipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beep119

Hello all, I made a few streamline pens and they all turned out fine except a couple....the top part of the pen will not grab the mechanism good and slips when extending the pen ink. Most streamlines I made feel tight when turning, but a couple of them slip very easily. Is there a way to fix this issue?
Have any of you experienced this?
Do you know what I mean?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I've had that happen with 7mm pens before (slimline, European), and the only thing I could think of to try was to very slightly "smash" the very top of the transmission. You have to be very careful not to be too agressive, so the refill will still fit. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, I had limited success. I'm hoping someone will have a better solution.

magpens

I am assuming that the cap part of the pen is slipping on the transmission when you try to extend and retract.

I don't like the idea of slightly "smash"ing it .... LOL ....

Somehow you have to increase the friction between the transmission and the cap's brass barrel. Or, alternatively, slightly increase the diameter of the transmission, or decrease the inside diameter of the cap tube.

Hmmmm ... I think I would try scoring a roughish groove on the inside surface of the cap tube (which is brass) or on the outside surface of the transmission (which is probably steel).

Or, what about squishing the transmission ever so slightly (with pliers or in a vise) so that it becomes a little bit elliptical in cross-section ? That's a bit risky too ... could damage the operation of the transmission.

I hope you'll post the solution if you find one.

CREID

You can contact the place you bought it from and they may replace the transmission. Or they are pretty so you could buy replacements (not sure who sells them, but some of the vendors here I am sure do).
Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Curt

KenV

Have used an automatic center punch to add "texture" to the high spots on the transmission and raise the grab factor (friction) between the transmission and the upper barrels. Check to assure a stiff transmission is not part of the problem.

its_virgil

Ken's suggestion works well also. I've been doing that for years. If the tube is slipping on the transmission the clip finial is probably a slightly loose fit also. I do wish the manufactures would stick with the tubes that are the correct diameter. This seems to be a cyclic problem as they rotate between brass tube suppliers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Have used an automatic center punch to add "texture" to the high spots on the transmission and raise the grab factor (friction) between the transmission and the upper barrels. Check to assure a stiff transmission is not part of the problem.

Skie_M

Use thin. You don't need great big globs of the stuff, just enough to decrease the inner tube diameter by a few thousandths or so.

Top Bottom