Stratus Click Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I made some of these pens and I have had 2 returned because the pens were dropped and the click mechanism broke. I know that you can use a piece of tooth pick and support the plastic click piece, however these were returned without the buttons and the stem that they screw on. Can I get the top click assembly without having to buy the whole kit? Please advise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I doubt it very much ... unless your supplier was PSI .... in which case you stand a chance.

Give PSI a phone call .... phone number at top of their website home page. Don't email ... they won't answer that.

keithlong

Did contact PSI and was told that they do sell the click assembly with the clip included, for 3.50 each for the chrome. So if anyone else needs them, just give them a call.

magpens

I don't make the Stratus because I don't like the style and I don't like the clip in particular.

But I have made a number of another PSI kit which has the same click mechanism ... I think it is the Vertex Click.

From reading reports here, I was aware that the mechanism is fragile so I was always diligent to reinforce the push plunger, which is hollow. . I used the smallest size of finishing nail that I could find (about 1/2" long) as the reinforcement. . First I used a straight pin to put epoxy in the hollow cavity in the push plunger, filling it up as much as I could. . And then pushed the nail in (I think head first). . The nail chosen is very close to the right length but if I needed to trim the length I did that before gluing it in (not after gluing). . To me, this is better than using a toothpick which is also fragile.

You have to be careful how much glue you use. . There is a risk of it spilling over and onto the threads at the top of the push plunger where the push button screws on. . If any glue does spill over, I carefully cleaned the glue off the threads completely. . That may not be necessary if you can ascertain that the button will never have to be unscrewed.

magpens

Thank you for this information. . I assume that you have to phone to order just that part. . I would not think it is on their website.

Did contact PSI and was told that they do sell the click assembly with the clip included, for 3.50 each for the chrome. So if anyone else needs them, just give them a call.

Last edited:

Roger Schlenz

I made a couple of Stratus pens that a prospective customer didn't like because the click was "too quiet" . He preferred a click pen that had an audible sound. Can't please everybody.

magpens

I think it does, Patrick. For myself, I love it !!

Vertex click is the same as the Stratus click also.

PatrickR

Thanks Mal, I don't mind the feel so much but have had too many failures. I'll look into doing a Schmidt conversion for the few vertex kits that i have already.

magpens

Sheesh, Patrick ... if you have had a lot of failures have you raised the issue with PSI ?

I have made quite a few and have had no failures, but then I don't sell pens ... just give them away. Maybe the recipients don't like to complain to me about a gift !

What is the nature of the failures ? . All the same ? . Or different kinds of failures ?

I know the "stem" of the click mech. is weak so I reinforce by gluing in a small finishing nail into the "cavity" in the "stem". I think I stated that elsewhere.

PatrickR

Mal, my failures have been on the Woodcraft clone "Script Clicker". They work for awhile then they don't retract without putting a little pressure on the tip. I don't sell any either but two that I have given away have done the same thing. Being Woodcraft I've just chalked it up the experience and haven't purchased anymore.

Top Bottom