Stratus Black Enamel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

I ordered a Stratus kit in black enamel. When I opened it, the black enamel parts (nib, click housing, etc.) would not fall out of their little ziploc bags...they were stuck to the inside of the bag. After I pulled them out, they seemed to be a little tacky. Thinking it might be some kind of oil or protective coating, I tried to wipe it off, but that didn't help. My wife washed one part with Dawn dish liquid...no longer tacky, but now a dull finish, not glossy as it should be. It feels to me like the enamel did not cure completely before the parts were bagged. Ordered another one, same thing. I like the kit for a clicker, but this finish is not acceptable.

Anyone have any insight on that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dtswebb

Give Tony at PSI a call. Email usually takes a little while to get a response. It does sound like there is a problem with the enamel and you may help out someone else by contacting PSI before their order gets shipped.

Si90

All the black ones I have received have been the same.

If I remember correctly I cleaned it off with lighter fluid.

TonyL

I receive my black enamel BA's and others from PSI with the same "protective" film. I never tried the lighter fluid idea, but have wiped it off with a damp cotton rag or paper towel. I never get them completely shiny.

qquake

I had the same problem with a Vertex black enamel kit. I was expecting it to be gloss black, but the parts have almost a "patina" on them. I tried polishing with a cloth, and it made them better, but still not glossy. It's a PSI kit, but I purchased it from Woodturningz. I emailed them, and they said that they're not advertised as gloss black. So the impression I got was, it is what it is. In fact, if you enlarge the photo on PSI's website, you can see what looks like a coating of some sort.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKFP4040.html

Attachments

• 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom