Strange material question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

I was sharing with my 13 year-old son some of the pictures of antler pens here. This led to the question: Can you make a pen out of a bone? I don't know how to answer him. I know you can make one, but can you make a nice one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Bone will be harder than antler. I have seen this topic come up before but it was on Yahoo. and being what it is I wasnot able to keep track of the outcome.

write-n-style

I ahve turned some antler that was attached to the skull.
Old mounted ones.
The skull part was harder but was actually easier to work than the antler.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A friend who lives in Rotorua, NZ sent me a bone pendant, handmade by a maori. The fine detail makes me think that bone can be worked into a pen, at least as inlay. Agreeing with Bruce, I'm certain that the diameter of the marrow would dictate the ability to use bone as a barrel.

Thumbs

Finger Bones! Just the right size And cuts down on the competition![}:)]
No, Thanks, I'll keep my "Thumbs" to myself.......[:)]

GregD

My answer would be yes, bone can be used for a pen. You need to look at the marrow pocket, the smaller the better. Then to keep the bone from becoming rancid you need to boil the bone until all leftover meat is removed.

elody21

Yes, you can turn bone, BUT it needs to be boiled first. Somewhere I have the detailed info. When I find it I will surely post the information. I took a class with Bonnie Klein and she uses bone to make boxes. She also gets beef bones from the pet store that have already been processed, but those would not be good for pens because of the hole!

GregD

Here are directions for preparing raw bone.

PREPARING FRESH BONE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In preparation of fresh bone (use marrow bone only), bone sections are usually 4 to 6 1/2 long, cut off the joint ends and then boil the bones in soda or lime water with approximately one teaspoon of alum added to each quart of water. Boil this for one to three hours depending on the size and fat content of the bone. Rinse the bone well in several changes of water, and then bleach the bones for several days in the sun and open air. This is the old method.

A newer method, which I think is more effective but which demands a greater degree of care, is to cut the bone into pieces of the desired size and after it has been boiled the piece is dried and ready to shape and work. Place the bone in a bleach of 40% hydrogen peroxide (taking care not to burn your fingers) for 24 to 48 hours. This method will give you the most beautiful white color results.

Make sure that there are no porous parts included in your finish piece. These porous parts will occur around the joints at both ends of the bone.

Another method is to bring to a boil the steer bones in 1/2 cup of Axion and simmer for 4 to 5 hours. Axion makes the bones white. (may not want the bones white, but natural) Rinse the bones in cold water and scrap away any remaining cartilage material Rinse several times before putting in a fresh pot of water. Repeat the Axion simmering process. Thoroughly rinse again and let dry for up to a week. Bones may be dried in less time in a very low oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom