strange Atlas ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

After shortening too many blanks with the trimmer, I was real careful with the latest batch.

On the Atlas, the blank is too long! The refill will not extend enough to enable writing with it! :( Talk about confused and disappointed! I could put a little piece of plastic into the transmission to make the refill "long enough", but that's a pretty cheesy thing to do.:(

I'll have to cut the barrel down by 1/8 to 1/4 inch to get the thing to operate properly...

Do I have to mic EVERY darn kit? This is disappointing, especially on such an easy kit to put together. I don't even want to talk about how loose the end cap is!!!

DRAT!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Measure the wooden part you have turned, it should be 2&7/8th's.
On Parker refill component sets the length is critical.
I have (too many times to mention thought I had milled to the proper lenght only to find that I "missed"
I am betting you had the appearance of the end being milled to the tube when if fact you didn't, at least that was true in my case.
I solved my situation by installing a magnifying lamp next to the DP where I do my drilling/milling.
It also helps when I need to see the worn out numbers on a bit for the tube.
Now I just butt the tube next to the drill bit and say"that's close enough!"

additional info:
I just checked the tutorial at PEnnstate and refreshed my memory.
The transmission is pressed in after the clip ring goes on if I am correct.If indeed your barrel is the correct length try pressing the tranny in as you would a slimline tranny.
The refill gets changed from the nib end.
It's been a while since I made one of those clunky nibbed things[:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Michael--instruction step 4C says that you must press the twist coupler in until ther overall length, from the end of the twist coupler to the end of nib coupler is 3.790" (there's a picture as well). I don't think you can assure the accuracy of this fit without a using a micrometer or calipers. It may be that you do not have the twist coupler (transmission) seated deeply enough. Here's the link to the instructions. http://tinyurl.com/de8ql Good luck! [8D]

rtparso

I have a block of wood cut to about 3.790". when I made it I cut it a little long and trimed it on the belt sander untill ti was just right. Just lay the pen on the block so teh block acts as a stop for the press. I also have teh same setup for other pens.

MDWine

Thanks everyone!

As far as trimming, I am certain that the wood is the same length as the tube, and that I did not trim the tube too much. After all of my other fiascos, I was very careful.

I'll check it out and let ya know what I find!

Thanks again.

JimGo

Bring it with you this weekend if you want Michael. As has been mentioned, it is probably the transmission, but we can help you figure it out.

MDWine

Actually, Jim, I blew it apart... I dimantled it and put it aside. I have other "nicer" pens to finish, and a son to get back to college next week, so my attention is on other things right now.

The piece of wood wasn't all that great... it is pretty, but not spectacular (sorry Tom[;)]). My wife liked it, so maybe it is worth putting together.

I'm building a loft bed for Jacob between now and the 17th, so I'll get back to it later!

I've been trying to find my dial calipers, but no luck... now's the time to spring for those digital jobbers!!!

Thanks everyone![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom