Strait Dope on Nibs... - Page 11 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #101 (permalink)
Ben

Photos: 0

Hi yall', It's been a while since I've posted, but I couldn't resist when I read this thread:

The way I see it, your first pen will more likely be about a $1000-$1,500 pen.

$200-$500 for a good lathe set-up.[:0]
$200-$250 for a sharpening sytem and jigs for tools.[:0]
$200 approx. for your drill press and jig setups for drill blanks.[:0]
$200-$500 Band SAW?[:0]
$100-$200 for your finishing products, CA glue, pen kits, mandrels, bushings, sandpaper, pen blanks, merchandising materials, display racks, labling software, ect...[:0]

Best of luck to you. If I were you, I'd check out some of these other guy's websites. Some of the VERY BEST penmakers in this craft are on THIS group; SOME OF THEIR FINEST LIMITED EDITION FOUNTAIN PENS WITH GOLD NIBS and IMPORTED RESINS & WOODS are ONLY SELLING in THE $300 RANGE! I understand that you don't intend on "stepping on any toes" here, but coming right out and saying what you did DOES come across a bit pretentious, and arrogant. Please post those pics as SOON as you can. I like everyone else here would LOVE to see what a $500 kit pen looks like.

Take care,
Ben
Ben is offline   Top
Old 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by airrat
<br />Monty People for the Eating of Tasty Animals is mine, you stole it. Im going to report you. [:D][:p][}:)]

Here you go Johnson.

The hometown for ugh, PETA is located here in Norfolk VA. We have our own version of their acronym;

People
Embarrasing the
Tidewater (VA)
Area
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them
down a flight of stairs.
lkorn is offline   Top
Old 03-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #103 (permalink)

Ben - I hate to tell you this, but, you forgot to include the cost of the Slimline kit. Hi Yoo Silver - Awaaay
Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #104 (permalink)

Photos: 17

I remember when topics on home stabalizing would look like this thread.
I also seem to recall a conversation about higher end kits. you know those impossibly high priced ones that would run $30 or more. that whole idea was also impossible. it was a conversation full of insults as well. Several times over.
I'm thinking that maybe the only reason the $500 kit pen is not more common. is that the idea still gets treated like this.
can you imagine what the person that introduced the CA finish went through.
Actually it would be interesting to go find some actual quotes from days past about things that are common to penturning today.
It is interesting that those that consider themselves at the top of this craft. got there at blinding speed having learned the craft form groups like this. Really practicing there craft with nothing more than what they have learned here. They will also be the loudest to argue against a new idea. Flaunting there experience along the way. Fresh minds bring fresh ideas. and fresh ideas bring innovation.
We now have a $160 kit. according to my memory I could take you back to the original thread that introduced this idea. it was made on the yahoo group more than two years ago. made by one of the biggest promoter of advancmant in penturning, Richard Kleinhinz (sorry if I butchered your name again Richard) The idea was met fairly readily with all the poohs and gawfs about how kit suppliers would never run the risk when they can make so much money on $2 kits, remember an $8 kit was about as expensive as they got then. there could not be enough quality to justify a kit costing even $30 much less over $100. and on and on. People actually quit the group over these conversations. the next year found the Gent pen on the front page of the CSUSA Cat.
now the whole line of Gent's Statesman, upgraded versions of both of those pens, and the pie in the sky, utterly impossible Emporer are about the only pens worth talking about.
we have a kit that offers a solid gold nib, and have versions in silver. kit suppliers of course are loosing there shorts left and right just as the group members predicted. not
Ed Knock yourself out on that $500 pen. I hope to learn something from you along the way.

Daniel is offline   Top
Old 03-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #105 (permalink)

Well said.
BigL is offline   Top
Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 AM   #106 (permalink)

Better strait dope on nibs than strait nibs on dope.......
{it's late and I'm bored}
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #107 (permalink)

My Dos centavos.....

Personally I enjoy selling writing insturments to people at craft shows in the 20-100 range. With all of our beautiful woods and
acryics they are really are quite unique. And my sense is, they are a real gem and bargin for the prices we are selling. We do make beautitful functional pens that are afordable to most individuals.

Michael
huntersilver is offline   Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Closed Thread