straight mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

almer

Is it possible to buy a straight mandre,so far i just use my mt2 in my metal lathe but i think i shoud but a straight one if possible.I could turn a tapered one straigh but if they sell them ill go that route.thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I'm not sure if this answers what you are asking, but you can buy what is called a "high precision" mandrel from Bear Tooth Woods in either the "A" size or the "B" size. I drive mine with MT2 collets, tightened with a drawbar.

This should be the link to the page with the mandrels.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_42

You can also buy a straight mandrel from PSI. I recommend the ones from BTW, but you will only be able to turn one barrel (of most pen styles) with them, whereas you can turn both barrels on the PSI mandrel.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKM-DL.html

PSI's straight mandrel.

ldb2000

Floyd , I'm not sure we are reading what you are looking for correctly . What tapered mandrel are you using ?
A pen mandrel is just a straight 1/4" rod threaded on one or both ends that fits into a holder of some kind , collet chuck , MT1 or 2 , even a drill chuck .
What is it you are trying to find?

KenV

Standard pen mandrel is "D" sized rod that can be purchased from several metal supplies such as MSCDirect. Comes in 3 foot lengths. Look up the size of a "D" drill bit -- 0.246 as I remember.

Cut pieces at what ever length you want, put in a collet chuck with a 1/4 inch or 6 mm collet and face the end -- Use a center drill to dimple the end and use a 60 degree countersink to set the tailstock mounting point and Robert is your Fathers Brother.

almer

Standard pen mandrel is "D" sized rod that can be purchased from several metal supplies such as MSCDirect. Comes in 3 foot lengths. Look up the size of a "D" drill bit -- 0.246 as I remember.

Cut pieces at what ever length you want, put in a collet chuck with a 1/4 inch or 6 mm collet and face the end -- Use a center drill to dimple the end and use a 60 degree countersink to set the tailstock mounting point and Robert is your Fathers Brother.
thanks guys,actually my mandrels are adjustable so i can just take out rod fr morris taper holder and use only the rod,sometimes i just miss the obvious,i think i have some 1/4 rod here somewhere also,i think d size is minutely smaller,ill check

almer

Floyd , I'm not sure we are reading what you are looking for correctly . What tapered mandrel are you using ?
A pen mandrel is just a straight 1/4" rod threaded on one or both ends that fits into a holder of some kind , collet chuck , MT1 or 2 , even a drill chuck .
What is it you are trying to find?
thanks,i also see Lee Valley in my city also sells just the rods which is all i need

KenV

I think if you put a mic on the rod it is smaller than 0.250 - 1/4 inch.

Drill chart in the library has D at 0.2460. One of the vendors has rod that is a thousand or so less. You will find that 1/4 rod does not work well.

Top Bottom