STRAIGHT CUTTING ANTLER AND TUBES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

Help!

I am having a devil of a time cutting AND sanding the ends of the antler straight after the tube is in and the glue is set.

Unlike a square blank which I can lay flat on my bandsaw and then use my guide to guarantee a straight cut. The antler doesn't lay square on the bandsaw table to the blade, so I never get a cut which squarely meets the end of the tube.

I always either take off some of the tube or I leave too much of the antler sticking out past the tube. Then I end up sanding, and sometimes (usually) I end up sanding away too much of everything, plus it is never straight - another tube and another antler piece goes into the trash.

It's probably a simple fix, I just don't know what the heck it is?????

Help me!

DRAT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

How do you square the ends of a wooden blank? Do you not use a pen mill? Or a jig and disk or belt sander? If you are not using a pen mill then that should be your next tool purchase.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Help!

I am having a devil of a time cutting AND sanding the ends of the antler straight after the tube is in and the glue is set.

Unlike a square blank which I can lay flat on my bandsaw and then use my guide to guarantee a straight cut. The antler doesn't lay square on the bandsaw table to the blade, so I never get a cut which squarely meets the end of the tube.

I always either take off some of the tube or I leave too much of the antler sticking out past the tube. Then I end up sanding, and sometimes (usually) I end up sanding away too much of everything, plus it is never straight - another tube and another antler piece goes into the trash.

It's probably a simple fix, I just don't know what the heck it is?????

Help me!

DRAT

renowb

Clamp it in vise and use trimmer head. The pilot will go through the tube and will cut the antler down even.

its_virgil

They are the same tool and it is sometimes called a barrel trimmer. There is a pilot shaft that goes into the tube and a cutter head that mills the end of the blank flat and perpendicular to the axis of the tube...it "squares" the end of the blank. Here is a picture.
7mm Pen Mill | Pen Turning Supplies

Some of us use a disk sander and a lig for holding the blank. Some of us make out own jig and others purchase one from suppliers of pen turning supplies. Here is a link to making one yourself...provided you have a disk or belt sander.
http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/blanksquaring.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ok guys you got me, what's a trimmer head, and what's a pen mill?

DRAT

RosezPenZ

Here is another hint, have you still got those "too short" antlers? I hate to see antler wasted, if you are making 7ml twist pens, aka, slime line, then they can very a little in length. Just don't push in the twist mechanism as far. Stop and check it often.

cwolfs69

pen mill is the best way and the only thing i use unless something very weird involved. i have about 8 heads and a guide for each size i use, about 12. but once your collection is up very seldom need to buy another. have only bought 2 in last 4 months. for elgrande kit, 37/64 etc.

Top Bottom