The Story of "M"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

Thought I would share how I made the M blank. Any improvements greatly appreciated. (ps click on the pic to make them larger).

This was my first try on the left, second time was much improved! HA. What I quickly figured was I approached the task totally wrong and needed to rethink the process.

The first attempt was trying to just saw and laminate the wood the second attempt I used a dremel tool with the table attachment:

I used a pointed cutter to do all the cutting (that was angled):

I started with a square block with about one inch turned down to the size I wanted (I left .01 for re-chucking). The block on the table has been cut off but you can see the M on the block and the extra on the table:

Here is a close up of the block near the cutter. You can see how it was cut. I just flipped and rotated the block for symmetry and to get the various cuts:

To cut the insert laminations in a different wood I used a small jig to hold the block:

Close up:

Heres what it looked like when I was done cutting the insert (this insert is blackwood but it should be maple) . I then clued the pieces together and cut the excess length off close, re chucked the block and trimmed everything together:

Now I dont have a picture of this but I turned a piece of blackwood with a hole to fit the M inside (to form the outside ring. I also laminated the strip in the block. After those steps I wanted to mount the M into the blank but I did not want to drill a sloppy hole. So I mounted the blank in the chuck as you see and with a skew bored a hole:

Now I have to drill a 37/64 hole in a .7 blank. That leaves .122 of material or .061 per side! So I thought I would use a collet to grab the blank:

I used a skew to find the center and drill a hole about 1/2 inch in one end:

I then took the blank out and turned it around an drilled it from the other side:

I then hit the laminations notice the color of the chips:

Also I used this canned air to cool the drill. I went slow but you could hear the squeaking from the heat build up. I would pull the drill back and blow air on the drill:

The worst part was when I broke thorough. At that point I realized how if I did not use the collet mandrel I would have destroyed the blank. I only hand tightened the collet mandrel and several times the blank spun in the collet. I didn't think much about it. When I broke through the back side it caught several times and every time the blank spun. If it was rigid I know I would have broken the blank. Here it is after drilling:

A look inside:

The blank is now being glued up and I will turn it this weekend. I hope it comes out! The more time I put into this blank the more stress!!!

Also I believe you can use a variation of this technique to make any letter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Dan,
Great lesson! You are definitely outside the box. I checked your last name and have to ask,"Why M?"

Fred in NC

"When I broke through the back side it caught several times and every time the blank spun. If it was rigid I know I would have broken the blank."

A collet is a very precise type of mandrel. I don't see a problem with reversing the blank before it breaks through. You can even put a plug inside the drilled part to reinforce it when you reverse it.

Making the blank a little longer should also work.

Again, super job, Dan !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom