Storage of blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NirvanaFan

New penmaker here... I just ordered a bunch of blanks that "have a story". These include whisky barrel, bog oak, kauri, etc. What do you do with these special blanks that you only have a few of at a time? Is it OK to store them in zip lock bags? Will spaulted, unstabilized, woods have issues if in a plastic bag?

I've got my acrylic and "regular" woods stored in priority boxes. I don't really want the char of the whisky barrel blanks to get over everything.

Thanks!

Marmotjr

I'm not sure abiut the spalted stuff, the ore experienced guru's will know better. But.... a lot of the story blanks I have ordered have come either sealed individually in plastic bags, or wrapped up as a bunch in a plastic bag/wrap. Both of which would retain moisture just like a ziplock. In fact, some of the types, like the whiskey barrel blanks, retain a little moisture is a good thing, as that gives it part of its character. So I would assume a ziplock would be ok, but I'd personally punch a few small holes in it to let it breathe.

Top Bottom