Stone Paper?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Culprit

I received a free note pad at a trade show today. I pulled it out during a meeting to take notes and realized something was different - I was not writing on paper.

Turns out it is stone paper, zero wood products included. The info sheet in the notebook states:

Ingredients: calcium carbonate, limestone, HDPE plastic (milk jugs and Coleman canoes).

Claimed to be: waterproof, anti bacterial, tear and smudge resistant, and easy to write on.

I hated writing on it with a Schmidt 888 Fine rollerball refill. I'll have to try some others when I get home, to include pencil. The ink took longer to dry than when writing on wooden paper, and for a lefty, that is highly annoying. The writing was also splotchy in places, almost like you were writing on something oily or greasy (the HDPE ingredient maybe). Sometimes it wrote dark and normal, and other times it was greyish and faded.

It is indeed tear resistant. When you try to tear it, it first stretches, then "tears" silently like Saran Wrap or another barely stretchy plastic.

It folds and sort of takes a crease, but won't really hold shape.

Has anyone else run across this, or had customers asking about it? I googled it and apparently there are a few companies making it. Wired.com has a decent article about it. The note pad I received today does not have a company name on it, but does say made in China.

I need to know more about how it handles different inks in case customers and friends ask about it.

Do any of you have any experience with it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

I believe that material was meant to be used with pencil (and charcoal) for the reason you found... it does not readily accept certain inks.

LagniappeRob

Wired magazine did an article on it: This Paper Is Made From Stone, But It Isn't Exactly Eco-Friendly | Wired Design | Wired.com

They talked about books being printed in it. Seems like it would suffer the same problem as with lefties - the ink staying wet too long, at least with lithography (oil & water). So the image would be likely to transfer to the page next to it as it's being run. I guess it would take quite the pressman to get it just right.

Top Bottom