Stone Crusher for Inlay Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRB4381

I recently purchased some stone chips for doing some inlay work and was wondering what other people use to crush such stone into powder. I was thinking of using a 1 1/2 inch diameter steel pipe about 12 inches long with an end cap screwed on, then using a solid 1/2 steel bar for crushing. I am curious what other designs people have come up with that have worked well. Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Wade

Be careful not to discolor the dust. Also shop around at dollar store types for different sizes of strainers and this will aide you in your endeavor. i use a 1 1/2 " aluminum pipe welled on a plate on end with a bar slightly smaller than the id of the pipe. This was made in a machine shop, wont rust and works great.

I have also used a coffee grinder, electric and that works also

dgelnett

I use the pipes also here is a picture. I put tape around the pipe to make it a little easier to hold on too. The bottom can unscrew to dump out all the stones. I use this a lot to crush turquoise.

Attachments

• Picture (Medium).jpg
    Picture (Medium).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,167

IPD_Mr

We purchased a morter and pestle real cheap on Amazon. This works pretty well but is time consuming and takes some hand strength. I will usually do this when watching TV.

sbwertz

I take about a half teaspoon of chips, put them in the cut-off finger of a nitrile glove, and pound on it with a small sledge hammer on an anvil! You have to use the nitrile gloves, as regular plastic bags are not strong enough. You can get everywhere from small chips to powder if you whack it long enough! The turquoise for the pen on the left was done this way.

IMG_2523.JPG

GregHight

I usually use a metal lid that has about 1/2" sides off of a jar. I set the small stone in the lid and set it on the plate and crush it. I hate picking the stone shards out of the plastic after you crush them into it.

Top Bottom