Still in the testing period.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Some time ago, before I actually start turning pens, and when lots of questions came to my mind, I asked in these forums if a Gold Leaf Pen would be feasible. I don't know why I was obsessed with that. Here are two of my results. Since they are still in the testing period, I know a better choice of materials would be in order, like golden hardware and ebony bands, but I don't want to use the good stuff when making tests.:cool:

Attachments

• Pens 006.jpg
    Pens 006.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 352
  • Pens 011.jpg
    Pens 011.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 409
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Casting in the black is a good idea but I would add a lot more leaf to it to help it show up a little better. Do they make a silver leaf? That would look nice in the black PR. I am not sure about the wood segments but that just me. Anyway, keep it up, I am working on my casting and have had some great results of late as well. Thanks for sharing.

D.Oliver

I think gold hardware would look good on the left one, but I really like the hardware as is, as well as the wood bands, on the right one. The hardware and wood provide nice contract to the gold leaf.

PTsideshow

If you would like to practice, with out the expense of gold leaf you can use composition (imitation)it comes in yellow(gold which is brass) silver (which is aluminum) and copper.
DSCF9899.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

Here is a lantern I did for a customer, before leafing
DSC02530.jpg

The copper and gold Composition leaf
DSC02537.jpg

The lantern aged/antiqued to go into his cabinet with his first additions of journey to the center of the earth.

They have developed newer acrylic type adhesives for applying the leaf now short wait time. and it works out well and holds great.
Plus you can get it at most of the big box craft stores like Micheal's

Here is the brands web site Scroll down till it comes up

It is a lot faster and easier, than trying to hit the adhesive at the right tackiness for the real gold leaf.

watch_art

I really really like the first one. Looks like it was made together and you just turned it. The second one... not so much. Too much gold leaf stuff.

firewhatfire

I poured some in colored resin and found it is better t ocast the gold leaf in clear resin and reverse paint the blanks. That way you can use any color to paint you want.

I poured some in colored resin and found it is better t ocast the gold leaf in clear resin and reverse paint the blanks. That way you can use any color to paint you want.

Ummm... sorry I don't understand. What do you mean with reverse paint the blanks? What I did in the first (black) is painted the brass tubes black, and then poured clear resin with the shredded gold leaf in it.

wiset1

I did a few a couple months ago as a test to see how they looked and this was the result. No pressure pot, just painted the tubes, mixed the leaf into warm resin then poured. I wanted to see the painted tube so I held off on packing the leaf really thick.

6215474979_303d9946d8.jpg

6267343069_c05a908835.jpg

6267349647_06f123afd7.jpg

If you have any questions just PM me. Larger images can be seen in my IAP Gallery or my Flickr Page...both linked below.

Very nice, Tim. I like the gold on blue one. In the black one I shredded the leaf and mixed it with the resin then poured. The second one is gold leaf glued and wrapped around the tube, so it's a different look and feel on both. Some persons like better one or the other. What kits are those?

Last edited:
Top Bottom