Sticky this? : Local wood mills or home blank cutters?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I was thinking; I've got more access to wood I'd like to have cut than I do the ability to cut. I'm sure others are in the same boat. So, I was wondering if we should start a sticky, maybe with the structure of

State: ....

County: ....

Capability: ....

Additional Notes: ....

I'm sure some people with the ability to cut blanks would love to meet and help some fellow turners, especially if they're willing to split some of the booty! Now, each person would be drying their own stuff, this is just for the help of cutting down things for those of us without saws and such *ahem!* Should we get someone to sticky this? Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boomer

I am thinking it is a good idea. This would get local turners to meet and possibly make some new friendships. Plus get some things get some things cut that need to be cut.

redfishsc

Skye, I am going to be in your town at the end of August. If you have lumber that needs to be milled up, I can take it back with me and cut it into blanks and stuff for you-- the shop I work at has 2 bandsaws, a 22" planer, 2 10" table saws, and a half dozen miter saws--- ie, I can cut anything you need.

The only trick is packing it into flat-rate boxes to be sent back to you, since I won't be coming back to town for a while.

Skye

Oooooooooh, that sounds like a plan. I'll shoot you some bread for the shipping and you're free to keep a share of the wood.

I've got a few 'black knot' galls which are dry, I may try to find a few that are still in the trees before you get here.

Also, a very old Pecan tree just fell at Winthrop College. I've the go-ahead from the guy in charge of the grounds to secure me some logs. Nice dark centers, light sapwood outside that. Would make some nice 'historical' pieces.

I'll shoot you a PM shortly!

Mikey

LOL, this would be a great idea to finally get my 20" bandsaw with the carbide blade up and running. (and the old Delta 14")

Great idea.

Skye

Mikey is apparently on board.
Muddy, can you cut or are you looking for a cutter?

Anybody else?

fiferb

Skye, If you need some wood cut, bring it down. I have an 18" bandsaw and have cut logs and burls up for bowl and pen blanks. Just give me a couple of weeks, I'm headed to Austin, TX next weekend.

Top Bottom