Stickers on a pen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I know I have WAY too many questions here, but I'm a newb and i am stuck in this darn vortex that some of you helped push me into, so I'm not feeling too guilty about bugging you!:rolleyes:

My 6 year old son loves to watch me turn these pens (while he is fully armored and protected, of course) and I would like to reward him for showing interest. I would like to turn a pen for him with some Spiderman stickers or something on it. Since it's not gonna be sold, I think I'm safe on the trademark laws, but can this be done?

My idea was to turn an acrylic blank and put a couple stickers on it, then finish with CA over top to seal them in.

Anyone try this???

Gregory of SlapMeIfIAskTooManyStupidQuestions Forest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
SOUNDS TOO COOL, DAD!!!!!!

(I think it will work, but someone probably has tried it - better info to come!)

mrcook4570

I've never tried CA over stickers or decals, but have used CA over paintings and dyes. Thin CA can cause the colors to bleed, so you may want to experiment before you try it on something in which you have a lot of time invested.

Since its for yourself, you shouldn't have trademark issues. As for doing it, you should be able to... Here is one thread where someone did it: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40748

If you search for 'decal' on here, you'll end up with more help than stickers.

AlphaGeek,
thanks for the link. 'Decals' is a better search term. I'll get some decal paper on the way home tonight.

Gregory of YouGuysKnowEverything Forest

DozerMite

Banned
It does work, but use the thinnest sticker possible. The CA has to be built up enough to cover the sticker and level everything out then have enough for finishing. Better to use decals.

skeenum

Gregory,

I made my 4 year old grandson a one piece stick type pen for Christmas (idea from Kurt Hertzog tutorial). I made the body out of maple. I used a refill from a "Papermate" pen from Walmart. I sealed the maple with a couple of coats of thin CA, applied a sticker of "Thomas the Train" from a book of stickers my grandson already owned and then I applied my normal CA finish over that (using several coats of medium CA).

The pen looked good, my grandson was thrilled and I trust I will not be arrested for any copyright infringement for personal use (whew).

Chris Bar

Now I know what else to make for my grandsons. The colored (for bling) lamainated pencils I made for them for Christmas are dismal compared to how a stickered pencil would look. So glad you initiated this post! Looking forward to more information on how to do this sucessfully.

If you want to come to the dark side you could wrap the sticker around a tube and cast it in resin...

All in good time, Blind Squirrel, all in good time.

Allow me the thrill of Rookyism (word invention) for a little longer before I start the mad scientist routine :tongue:.

Gregory of It'sAliveIt'sAlive Forest

Top Bottom