Sterling Silver Plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

waynewright

I have just started turning pens using components plated with Sterling Silver. A customer asked me if they will tarnish. I couldn't give him an honest answer since I had no experience to rely on. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience using Sterling Silver components and whether or not they tarnished and what you do if it does happen.

Thanks,
Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I have just started turning pens using components plated with Sterling Silver. A customer asked me if they will tarnish. I couldn't give him an honest answer since I had no experience to rely on. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience using Sterling Silver components and whether or not they tarnished and what you do if it does happen.

Thanks,
Wayne

yes they will tarnish unless the plating solution is made from some of the newer alloys, like Argentium , since the other anti oxidizing alloys are made with Indium they won't make into an acid base solution, Sterling will always tarnish since the traditional alloy contains copper even plated it will tarnish, I don't know if the commercial plated pen parets are coated with epoxy, but even them they will tarnish where ever they get the coating chipped.

bitshird

ken, thanks for the info I appreciate it. If they tarnish do you just tell the customer to use silver polish on the metal part?

Wayne

Wayne; I wouldn't recommend using any polish, other than a treated cloth, you can get them at a jewelry store, the plating is pretty thin, if the pen is used much it worn have a chance to tarnish, just normal use will keep the tarnish off, and wiping it occasionally with a very soft cloth will help, also a coat of renwax, or for a less expensive thing. try clear Kiwi shoe paste wax for protection. For some reason Renwax and the Kiwi shoe polish sure smell the same, and as far as I can tell both do about the same, at shows though I use the Renwax,(don't want the customers to think I'm a cheapskate) LOL.

Top Bottom