Sterling silver. The low down and info goes here. - Page 10 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #91 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG View Post
gold,silver are likely to be just that. how much of it however is debatable.

Different metals I know of which can be plated are these. Ti is not even on the list which leaves me to assume all of those platings are things what just look like what you would expect if it was infact plated in ti.

Chrome
Nickel
Iron
Cadmium
Zinc
Indium
Tin
Lead
Silver
Gold
Platinum Group (including Rhodium)
Copper

The crux of it to me is that all plating is quite frankly that.. plating. if you want something special, then get a solid piece. if you want something what looks the part but infact costs bugger all, then plating wins. I would certainly take all of it with a pinch of salt, and would more focus on how good of a plating the manufacturer offers, rather than what it actually is. Smitty mentioned his chap plates to 20μm which is good considering the requirement is only 13μm. This shows they make a better quality component compared to someone which is just meeting the industry standard, obviously only comparing thickness alone. many other factors need to be checked too to determine who is the better plater, but that would be a hell of alot easier to analyse than trying to figure out if it is infact Rhodium.
I think Titanium nitride and Black Titanium are thought of as ceramics rather than metals. What ever the case I think they can be plated - Titanium Nitride plated drill bits have been available for years. I think the Black Titanium is Titanium Dioxide and is used a lot in making Titanium jewelry - black Titanium rings are common, Walmart even carry's them.

In my opinion, a lot of the confusion here is a matter of semantics. When I first started, most of the platers were electroplating in a bath of liquid and the big argument was over "rack" plating or "tumble" plating....now there are very few platings, if any, done that method, most are done with some sort of a vapor process and there seem to be a lot of factors figureing into the process have changed because of that. I think the end result though must be nearly the same or the whole jewelry industry would be in deep yogart.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #92 (permalink)

Photos: 98

No worries Ed,
BradG is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #93 (permalink)

Photos: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
I think Titanium nitride and Black Titanium are thought of as ceramics rather than metals. What ever the case I think they can be plated - Titanium Nitride plated drill bits have been available for years. I think the Black Titanium is Titanium Dioxide and is used a lot in making Titanium jewelry - black Titanium rings are common, Walmart even carry's them.
Indeedy, its an oxide layer rather than a plating from the little googling I just done.

Quote:
In my opinion, a lot of the confusion here is a matter of semantics. When I first started, most of the platers were electroplating in a bath of liquid and the big argument was over "rack" plating or "tumble" plating....now there are very few platings, if any, done that method, most are done with some sort of a vapor process and there seem to be a lot of factors figureing into the process have changed because of that. I think the end result though must be nearly the same or the whole jewelry industry would be in deep yogart.

I think they've just changed again after banning Fluro's. Back to tank it goes. (and sprung Ti rack for me every time )

The thing is I don't think we can compare the jewellery market to pen components. Jewellery will be plated to a completely different standard than decorative items. Unless someone is pitching extremely high quality pen components. Even if that was the case... I would like to see the plating data sheets before I would purchase any.
BradG is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
Indeedy, its an oxide layer rather than a plating from the little googling I just done.

Quote:

I think they've just changed again after banning Fluro's. Back to tank it goes. (and sprung Ti rack for me every time )

The thing is I don't think we can compare the jewellery market to pen components. Jewellery will be plated to a completely different standard than decorative items. Unless someone is pitching extremely high quality pen components. Even if that was the case... I would like to see the plating data sheets before I would purchase any.
You are probably right about that. I think we think in terms of jewelry because of the precious metals. This thread started as a discussion of Sterling Silver marking...
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #95 (permalink)

Photos: 2

This is called bait and switch.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstreet View Post
This is called bait and switch.
What is called bait-and-switch? "this" is not very specific.

BTW the term is "bait-and-switch" and it means: the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods. Which in my opinion doesn't even apply here.

Last edited by Smitty37; 06-04-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #97 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Just an update. I have located a lab that will be doing testing for me on this project. We are currently in the planning phase to ensure good conclusive results and valid data.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstreet View Post
Just an update. I have located a lab that will be doing testing for me on this project. We are currently in the planning phase to ensure good conclusive results and valid data.
That's good Ed, what are they testing?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #99 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Thanks for doing this and sharing Ed.

We appreciate it!
Logged on members can hide ads