Sterling Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
If you have not seen one of these you are in for a real treat...
I ordered 2 rollerballs and 2 fountain pen sterling silver Barons and they arrived today... the most beautiful plating I have ever seen...
They are being done for a very special order I am working on..
The 2 rollerballs will be done in stabilized spalted pecan and the 2 fountain pens in stabilized curly mesquite that I also got from Bill B in the order... absolutely fantastic eye candy... even better than he described it...
It is going to be a while before they are posted, the shop is still too cold to work in...
Bill also sent the usual "I want more of that" extra ... a gorgeous piece of desert ironwood.. just running with gold and brown... think I might use that for the gold Baron kit I have for myself... LOL..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

I just received the sterling silver as well and can't wait to start working on one. You are right the plating is beautiful. It is such a pleasure to work with and buy from Bill. I always get more than I expected.

Gary

I have been dying to make one of the fountain pens in that plating. Why don't you put on some thermal underwear and turn one of those today so we can see it? [8D]

KKingery

Mickey - "Bill" is Bill Baumbeck. He has a company called "Arizona Silhouette". There is a link to his site on the main page. He has great kits, wood, accessories, just about anything.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I have to question the definitions being used. There is no such thing as "sterling silver plate". Silver plate is just that, a plating of silver that is on top of another base metal. Sterling is a solid alloy that is 925 parts of silver and 75 parts of copper by definition.

These kits are a silver plate and it will wear off.

Please educate me if I am wrong.

Gary Max

Russ I am sure you are right.
The way it was explained to me is.
The Baron has a real heavy plate---very thick-- and ain't going to wear off anytime soon.

Gary Max

Hey Tom Mullane-- no matter what they call them---they are the sharpest dang pen kits I have seem in a long time. Of course there are still a lot of kits out there that I ain't made yet.
I am waiting on my second order of Barons to show up this week.

jkirkb94

The sterling silver Baron is nice, Tom! I have made one FP in it so far and it is one of my favorites. I just wish someone would make more kits in it, especially in the solid sterling silver. I would buy some of them. I do know the BB carries the SS El Grande. Kirk[8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I stand corrected. According to Gary (who spoke with Bill B) this is silver PLATE. Sorry for my mistake and any confusion created.

PenWorks

This is the desciption from Bill's page on the Baron.....

"The sterling silver pens have 20 micron plating and have been treated to inhibit tarnish. The sterling kits have a softer silver finish when compared to the platinum kits."

I kinda agree with Russ, they are silver plated & not Sterling silver. But it is a quality thick plating. I ordered them when they first came out and none have tarnished, which is nice. Other sterling silver fitting pens I carry do tarnish. It's a pain to keep them looking nice.

Whatever the case, it is a plating and not sterling silver. Which doesn't change the look or quality of this fine pen kit.

Gary

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />These new kits are sterling silver and not plate. It's a new upscale offering from Bill at Arizona Silhouette.

Is it or isn't it? If it's silver plate then Bill shouldn't have it in his online catalog as Sterling Silver.

Baron Sterling Silver Rollerball, BHW-325, $12.00
Baron Sterling Silver Fountain Pen, BHW-335, $16.75

(Anthony...we were apparently typing at the same time.)

PenWorks

Gary, is that a deja veu thing [:D]

I agree, Bill should have it labled as Silver plate, not sterling silver. Hey, I aint telling him [:D] I still like getting choice wood [:D]

woodscavenger

"I agree, Bill should have it labled as Silver plate, not sterling silver. Hey, I aint telling him I still like getting choice wood "

LOL!![:D][:D]

I did a sterling FP with a freebie ironwood from BB and it is stellar. Take a look in my album if you wood like. I have ordered several more and am a little but wired waiting for them.

opus

Tom,
That Desert Iron wood from Bill is incredible, he sent me a freebie awhile back, after I turned it I ordered another 5! Turns great and the chatoyance was unbelievable. The silver baron and ironwood are made for each other! [:)]

woodscavenger

See, he's just like the dealer standing on the corner giving out hits to unsuspecting kids......here, wanna buy some ironwood.....I love it.
He sent me some mesquite which looked rather boring and nondescript. I finally put it into a cigar kit and it is really an amazing wood. Thanks again BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom