stepping up to rollerballs pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I have some credit to redeem at craft supply and am wanting to take advantage of their double points going on.

The only rolerball i have made so far is PSI Tycoon.

What is the big advantage of buying the more expensive rollerballs over the $5-7 kits they also offer? Comments or suggestions of good ones from craft supply? Ones that are beginner or intermediate
Rollerball Pen Kits and Online Instruction Video on Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

They have the Apprentice lineup and the Artisan lineup. I honestly have not bought anything from the Apprentice line. My guess is that the Artisan line has better (read: thicker) plating, higher end plating choices, maybe tighter tolerances on moving parts. I've made many a Zen rollerball (haven't sold many), and I truly enjoy them. I use one as a daily carry pen. What kind of pens do you like to make? Magnetic/screw on cap? Turned material/metal cap?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like Dan's choices also.

My additional preference is to consider better platings: Rhodium; and Titanium - Gold and Black (Dan really loves Gold :tongue:); and Chrome/Gun metal.

And I myself prefer postable pens (Zen qualifies).

toddlajoie

Just to bring this up, as the Jr. Gent 2 has been mentioned, and the CSUSA Apprentice vs Artisan lines, and I have a feeling the Apprentice Jr. Gent may be what you are referring to in the $5-7 kits. There is a lot of confusion around the naming of these pen kits, so hopefully this will help you not fall into some of the pitfalls others have...

The CSUSA Apprentice Jr. Gent is NOT a lower quality version of the Artisan Jr. Gent 2 (!!), they are 2 entirely different sized kits.

The Apprentice Jr. Gent uses the same tube size as the Baron/Navigator/Sedona line (and probably others) but uses different bushings, as the body of the Apprentice Jr. Gent is tapered while on the Barons, both ends are the same size. They ares a good bit smaller than the Artisan Jr. Gent 2 pens. The Apprentice Jr. Gent (often referred to as the Jr. Gent 1 to distinguish it from the 2, that most people don't bother saying...) in chrome is CERTAINLY worth the price ($6) when you want to make less expensive rollerballs. IMO it's biggest distraction is the black enamel threads, but that is a personal preference. I like the size of that line for a shirt pocket carry for it's smaller size.

The Artisan Jr. Gent 2 is certainly a step up in "significance". My wife claims it to be a "Man's Pen" as she thinks it is too large for a woman, but that is open to debate (and she thinks the full size Gent is for when the "Governator" wants a pen, and hates rollerballs in general...) It is a larger pen, and in it's Black Ti and Rhodium versions, they make very good looking pens, and the new Chrome version makes a durable less expensive alternative to the normal gold.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are looking to expand your kits is the other materials needed. The Apprentice Jr Gent uses 25/64" and 15/32" drill bits, the larger of which will also do things like the artist sketch pencil (one of my favorites...) and the smaller half of the Full Size Gent/Statesman, and the smaller one will do both Apprentice and Artisan versions of their cigar pens, and probably others from other places, but I'm not up on all the pen kits... The larger Jr Gent 2 uses 10.5mm and 12.5mm drill bits, which are the same as the Jr. Statesman, Jr. Retro, and Venus if you decide to try more expensive kits. They will also do pens from other Mfgs like the Tritons and probably a lot of others. the 10.5mm drill bit is used for the Zen, Magnetic Vertex and again, probably a lot of others... So sometimes the decision on what pen kit to expand to can be nudged in one direction or another by what other opportunities it brings with it...

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things more...

flyitfast

Todd (toddlajoie), thanks for your review. Although I've made all the examples you mention I've never thought of all the relationships you mention. It helps me on a couple of decisions.
Gordon

Last edited:

avbill

The Artisan Jr. Gent 2 is certainly a step up in "significance". My wife claims it to be a "Man's Pen" as she thinks it is too large for a woman

" Man's Pen " I don't think so. 63% of my sales were women Out of the 63% 90% were professional women: Doctors, Lawyers, Real Estate Agents buying for themselves. I remember one lady was 6 "4" tall She was taller than I.

I just finished my year end statical analysis of what a sold to view the trends from one to the next. will report on another thread

Best selling pen last year = Sedona by 7 % over Cigar
This year best Selling pen = Sedona by 4% percentage over Jr Statemens

Dollar amount is totally different.

Top Bottom