step up from the slim line pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

what would be a better pen than the cheap slim line but made on the same style just a little bigger and beefer,,,can anyone tell me what kind they like or prefer,,the slim line is ok,,but I would just like it to be thicker,,thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wob50

Cigar style if you looking to stay two piece pens...Sierra style if you want a one piece style....or you could do a slim-line modified pen...that is my 2 cents ....lol..... sure someone else will have more to say...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I simply buy Comfort center bands & use them with a standard slimline kit when I want to make them a little larger. You can also make your own center bands & make the pen to whatever thickness you want.

The modification possibilities for slimlines are virtually unlimited.

flyitfast

Last edited:

magpens

Slimlines are not the easiest by any means. . They are cheap and that's the only reason to start with them. . In my opinion, a really easy and satisfying pen to make is the 30 Caliber Bolt Action (patented by PSI, but you don't need to buy them there). . I like that design because you can turn the blank (there is only one) to be straight-sided and it looks great. . Pens made from these kits also sell well. . In my opinion, the cigar is tricky because you have 4 bushings all of different size so shaping the 2 barrels is a bit challenging. . However, once you master that, the cigar is a really nice pen ... nice and solid, and fat, and comfy to write with ... a good handful !! . Slimlines are good to come back to ... you can do your own modifications as others have said above. . In fact, in the February and August contests held here on IAP there is a specific category for modified slimline pens. . Master pen-makers turn out some really creative work.

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

Streamlines or Trimlines are slightly thicker and have a nicer center band. It is perfectly proportioned and comes in silver, gold or gun metal.

fastgast

Here's a modified slimline that I've had success with.

Attachments

• annie2 002.jpg
    annie2 002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 199

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
what would be a better pen than the cheap slim line but made on the same style just a little bigger and beefer,,,can anyone tell me what kind they like or prefer,,the slim line is ok,,but I would just like it to be thicker,,thank you
Comfort can be turned without the cushion grip, Creekline, Concava, Trimline, Streamline are a few 7mm that are a bit beefier than slimline.

KenV

Jeff - to step up from the cross style refill to the much better Parker style you need to move to the 8 mm tube. There are several good euro styles as well as some straight sided pens. Perfect Fit is one of my favorites.

GBuck

I moved up with the streamline style from lee valley, they use the same 7mm bits and are a little beefier. Im very new too pen turning and it was a nice easy upgrade

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

After a similar discussion a few month someone recommended these 2 pens:
Simplicity Ballpoint Pen Kit
Neopean Ballpoint Pen Kit

I found them to be elegant and very impressive. I believe they can be considered a go between point of a economical and a High end pen.
This pen is neopean in Rhodium and Ebony the cap is a silver earring the client gave me.

I believe that a 7mm pen is a nice entry level pen but there are so many other pens in the market specially in the 10mm range that once you are there you will be mesmerized.

Top Bottom