Step Drill Source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Does anyone still make a step drill for pentel pencil making? I could make one myself by grinding a bit down on my metal lathe but figure by the time I get it right I could have bought two or three of them for less time and money. Funny thing is that I bought one several years ago but either lent it to some one or it stepped out on it's own power.

its_virgil

Two that I know of. I think I have this correct. One is Rick Harrell whose IAP user name is rharrell. He also has the mandrels also. The other is John Grounds whose IAP user name is Chuck Key and he also once sold the mandrel. I have mandrels from both and they make it really easy.

Here is a link to Rick's IAP vendor catalog. I did not see the step drill but contact him and see if he still offers them.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f172/custom-made-penturning-tools-accessories-92501/

Drilling is possible using two bits. I think there are a couple of articles in the library. There is one on my website and a link to the articles section it is in my signature. I don't remember if it uses the step drill or not.

Rich Kleinhenz has an article published in Woodturning Design that is a really clever way to make one. No step drill and no long drilling either. :biggrin:. It is in one of the last two or three issues. I can get the exact issue info if you want it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Does anyone still make a step drill for pentel pencil making? I could make one myself by grinding a bit down on my metal lathe but figure by the time I get it right I could have bought two or three of them for less time and money. Funny thing is that I bought one several years ago but either lent it to some one or it stepped out on it's own power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom