Step bit for the Pentel pencil conversion (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody0207

For those of you who might have missed out on the last group buy of the step bit used for the Pentel pencil conversion, or if you are looking for an additional bit or two... I found the following source for the bit and wanted to share it with you.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/hss_step_drills.html

You can email wlfuller your specifications and they will send you a quote. The bits are special order, but they are very easy to work with. Turn-around time was ~ two weeks for me. To give you a feel for prices, a recent quote that I received had the following prices.

1-2 @ $25.50
3-5 @ $24.10
6-11@ $22.90
12-23@ $21.65

Here are the specs for the bit, in the format that wlfuller requires.

(A) countersink diameter 17/64
(B) pilot diameter 5/32
(C) pilot length 1/2 inch
(D) flute length "long" 3 7/8 inches
(E) overall length "long" 6 1/4 inches
(F) shank diameter same as countersink
(G) angle 135 degrees
(H) material high speed steel (HSS)
(I) length of shank standard
(J) style style 1

Here is a picture of my bit (ignore the sharpie mark on it).

20085115837_Step%20bit.jpg

I have been trading emails with Don (its_virgil) on this. He indicated there have been several people who have expressed interest in getting a bit. Maybe someone out there will do a group buy.

If the Pentel conversion is a new topic for you there is an good article on this general topic written by Don in the library.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/pentel.pdf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody0207

Originally posted by turned_for_good

How much was the grand total after shipping and all?

Looking back at my statement, the total charge was $25.50 which was the original quote price. I'd suggest you verify any quote you get includes shipping.

Chuck Key

woody0207

Originally posted by Chuck Key
It looks like the counter sink angle is 135 degrees. Why did you choose that instead of 90 to match the pencil step?

I didn't have one of the original bits to compare with so I didn't know about the 90. 135 was a guestimate of a reasonable angle based on what the published tip angle is for Norseman bits supplied by AS. It has worked ok for me, but if someone wants 90 then they need only change that spec when they order from wlfuller.

redfishsc

I ordered the step drill from the bulk buy and CANNOT FIND the blasted thing, I managed to lose it! Crap!

So I just sent them an email.

I also sent them the dimensions of the two mandrels you have to make for each end of the pencil to see what they'd charge to make them out of steel (not HSS, too brittle).

its_virgil

Actually, I've been turning them between centers using a dead center and live center. I find turning them between centers works better for me than any other way I've tried. Give it a try and maybe yuou can save that $$ for the two madrel/bushing thingies I used for the tutorial. Here is a picture of how I now make them.
20085323816_between%20centers.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by redfishsc

I ordered the step drill from the bulk buy and CANNOT FIND the blasted thing, I managed to lose it! Crap!

So I just sent them an email.

I also sent them the dimensions of the two mandrels you have to make for each end of the pencil to see what they'd charge to make them out of steel (not HSS, too brittle).

Top Bottom