Step back....slow down

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin M

Today I spent 4 hours making (1) pen. If you are like me you could make 3-4 nice pens in that time frame...but why? Unless you have an order to fill, why do we keep turning them out at such a pace? Today's pen was a 7mm Comfort (w/o grip) made with Bocote cut against the grain. The time spent making everything jjjjjust right paid off with one of the best pens I have ever made. But more importantly, I found that I was getting more enjoyment and more satisfaction out of stepping back......slowing down! Sorry but no pictures....spent the money on shop equipment. Today's food for thought.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Kevin,
You make a great point. It's not a job, well it may be for some...

I think about it as a Hobby that supports itself...[:D]

Also, Your day was Great as Mr. Murphy was making himself right at home in my shop...[:D]

opfoto

FYI, I take a little over an hour for each pen I do. So far just SL's. I pre-drill and pre-glue a couple of blanks a few (2-3) nites before I want to turn them. I have to steal a few minutes when I can. Thats why I do it this way then I spend the hour or so turning, sanding, finishing. I really am enjoying it this way. Will be doing cigars soon. Will probably take more time to do those. No hurry. Just trying to alleviate the normal daytime stresses.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A month or so ago we had a poll where over half of the membership takes 50 minutes or longer to turn and finish a pen. I'm with you, Kevin. It takes as long as it takes.

Gary

The most enjoyment is often when you make a pen just for yourself. I would never want to get into making them all day...day after day. When it starts feeling like a job, I'll find something else to do.

Kevin M

Gary, the pen I made today was for me, and I should clarify my 4 hour time span. This time frame not only included checking and adjusting the accuracy of my drill press and lathe, cutting the blanks, drilling, glueing, trimming, turning, sanding, measuring, sanding, measuring, sanding, measuring, finishing, polishing, assembly, but also 30 minutes of admiring.[:D] I think I was getting burnt out on making pens during Christmas and needed to re-think why <b>I</b> was even in the garage in the first place.

woodscavenger

Today I did the same thing. During the week I zip through some standard cigar pens but on Sunday. That is my day to be selfish about my own pens. I finished a Baron FP and a couple of modified slimlines. Lots of fun. My pens! Take a look at my album if you like.

tipusnr

In the last ten days I haven't even made a pen. I have spent plenty of time in my shop but have been working with band saw, scraper, sandpaper and glue to create unusual wood blanks. I don't even know if they will work or what the pen will work look like and have one more round of band saw cuts before the actual cutting and tubing of the blanks for making an actual pen. Using scraps and cutoffs some of the blanks have better than 50 titebond glue joints and failure of any of them could end the whole process but it has kept me interested.

Looks like I should have a dozen blanks to expirement with later this week. Slow - yes, profitable - maybe, interesting and rejuvenating - absolutely!! If you would like to see the blanks in their current condition look at the posting "Wish Me Luck...".

Kevin M

Gary, I have spent more time trying to get a good scan of this pen that it took to make it. I looked at some of the other test pictures by scanner and thought maybe I could try. This picture does not do it justice and the size is a little large, but...at midnight this is as good as it gets, thanks for looking.

20052754740_Bocote%20Comfort.jpg
<br />

knottyharry

Hi Kevin,
I agree with all of you. I kind of went through burnout a while back and had to just get away from it for a while. Now I just take my time and enjoy what i'm doing. And the results are worthwhile.
Harry

wayneis

My Grandfather was a noted woodworker in Northern Michigan and he told me many, many years ago that "If it's worth taking the time to do something, then take the time to do it right". I've always tried to remember that whenever I do any type woodworking. To me working with wood is an enjoyment, whether I am getting paid or not. One of me biggest pet peeve's is someone who always wants the "quick way".

Wayne

woodscavenger

Thanks for the compliment on the Fatline. They are pretty easy. Prepare your blanks as usual. Get a cool looking scrap cutoff from a previous pen ( you should have plenty laying around) and drill a 1/4" hole in it. I usually drill holes in about 10-15 cutoffs. Mount a stack of the cuttoffs on your mandrel. Round all of them off. Use a small parting tool (I use one from a mini HSS set from PSI) and run the tool where two separate pieces of wood come together. Take it down close to the mandrel. Repeat this at every joint. If you go too far and get to the mandrel the blanks with start slipping because you will lose compression from the knurled nut. At this point I use the same parting tool to start dividing the scraps. I make some skinny and some wide divisions. Again I stay away from completing the cut.

Now I remove them from the mandrel and use my utility knife with a sharp razor blade to shave off the ends left from the parting tool. This should ensure that both ends are parallel. Now put them back on the mandrel (you will likely need some extra wood or bushings on there to make up for the wood you have removed). This is where it gets a little tedious.

Go back to the parting tool and starting at the nut end start completing the parting cuts. Undo the nut, pull off the part, trim, add a bushing/wood cuttoff, tighten the nut and go to the next one.

By now you should have at least one small wood donut of whatever wood you chose. Now put your slimline blanks on but relace the middle bushing with the wood donut. Now turn your pen to whatever style/thickness you like. You are not limited by the center bushing anymore! After finish sanding I do one of two things.
1) If I want a floating CB I put a little bit of oil between the wood CB and the blanks then I add my CA-BLO finish. When I am done I can usually just separate the pieces with out any problem.
2) I have started using CA to attach CB to the upper tube then finish the pen normally.

leehljp

Member Liaison
One of the reasons I decided to get into this hobby is the fact that I could make a pen in an hour or two. My normal woodworking projects take two or three years! I have had limited space here in Japan and it just takes time to pull everything out and put it back. The last thing I made was a hutch for LOML and that took two years off and on. Before that I made a router center table with two routers - three years in the planning and making.

NOW I can start and finish a project in one day - when I have the time! I'm listening to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom