Steel threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azamiryou

I have a pen with solid stainless steel components, including both the male and female cap threads. The threading action is a little bit "rough". (This is a kit pen, I did not make the steel parts.)

Is this normal?

Is there a "standard" fix to make it work more smoothly? I'm thinking of putting a little lapping compound on the threads and screwing/unscrewing it a bunch of times, but perhaps there is a better solution...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

I bought four of the same kit, and they are all that way. I decided I would not sell them or give them away. I don't think you can fix it.

azamiryou

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.:cool:

I decided to try the lapping compound (aka valve grinding compound). I used a toothpick to put a small amount on the body threads, then put the cap on and screwed/unscrewed the cap multiple times. It didn't take long to smooth out considerably. I then moved the cap to the posted position, and repeated the process. I didn't have to add more compound, the little bit clinging to the cap threads was plenty.

After both were smooth, I wiped off the compound and tested. It was much improved, but still had a little bit of "catching", so I added a little beeswax to the threads. It's all much better now.

The hardest / most time-consuming part was wiping the compound out of all the threads.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
After lapping with valve compound try white diamond to further smooth it out. There are some diamond polishing pastes from lapidary work if you want to pursue that.

Top Bottom