Steel City Mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Hey,

Has anyone tried the new Steel City Mini lathe?

I was in Woodcraft today to look at the Jet 10x14 variable speed mini and saw the new Steel City 10x15 variable speed mini.

The only differences I can find between Steel City and the Jet is the Steel City doesn't have a spindle lock or indexing....oh yeah and the Steel City is $200.00 less expensive.

So...has anyone bought and tried one out yet?
What is your opinion of the quality of the machine?

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George7

I have had a Steel City VS mini for a little more than a year now. I like it pretty well. I bought it when my Delta Midi died. The Delta's starting capacitor melted, leaving no way to read the specs. I didn't know if I would ever get the part from Delta, and I was going into withdrawal, so I bought the Steel City. It was the only VS mini I could find in stock in NE Ohio.

The lathe works well. I like the variable speed. It still has two pulley positions, but I find the belt changes easier than on my Delta or the Jet that I used for a class at Woodcraft. That may be because, with only two pulleys, there is more space for my short, thick fingers.

I have a few things that I am not happy about with the Steel City. It was expensive when I bought it. The on-off switch sometimes sticks, and the motor power is not impressive.

I have never used a VS Jet mini, so I can't compare the two for power. I have read where people have had some problems with the switches on the Jet, so that may be a wash between the two. I've certainly used the Steel City quite a bit. I'm glad I sprung for the VS, and I like having the Delta as a dedicated buffing station.

shawn394

I also have had the Steel City for about a year. I really like the variable speed. The only problem I have had was right after I started using it the on off switch quit working. I took the switch box apart and made sure all the magnetic switch parts were clea, tight and in the right spot. Havn't had any problems since. I really like it.

rlharding

I bought the steel City vs mini 601 or 600. Immediately I had problems with the on-off switch sticking. After 2hrs of use the lock nut plastic handle wouldn't catch the metal indexes. Changing tool bar height with a pr of pliers was not what I expected. The store, Summit Tools, called the Canadian company and another is on it's way. Paul, the SC rep said that it must be a sticking switch. duhhh, now I see that they already know about this problem. The price here in BC, Canada is $279 ...much cheaper than anything else with a vs.

Nick

Must be the same switch on my SC 8" VS grinder. It broke down within an hour of use. The company replaced the entire machine with out a problem, same day. Good customer service!!
Nick

M

monkeynutz

The Jet mini VS is not immune to switch problems, either. I have heard of several people who have had to replace the toggle. Fortunately, it is a common switch. I have not experienced any problems with mine, however. I am definitely glad I got it before the big price increase happened.

trsmth

I bought this lathe in september and have turned about 300 pens, a couple bowls, and other misc items. I have had to change the switch 3 time so far. I spent a good deal of time on their tech support line and walked their tech through the problems i was having and he took a day or so to get back to me. My problem has been that the contacts on the switch are arcing so bad they are welding themselves together. He sent a 2 pole switch this time and said it should take care of it. I haven't had much time to put on this one, but it is not sticking from the get-go like the others. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with it. And I hear that JET has had their fair share of problems also. I bought it for the 5 year warranty. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you might have

papaturner

I`ve had the Steel City Lathe for a bit better than a year. My only regret is that I didn`t get the varible speed. I have not had any problem with the switch and use it most weeks at least 5 afternoons and nights. I`m a happy camper.

follow3

Hey All,

Other than the switch, it seems to be a good machine at a great price.

I am going to buy either this one or the Jet mini, but after seeing the HUGE price increase in the Jet model over the last 30 days, I am thinking of going with the Steel City.

I am not hugely concerned with the switch issue, it sounds like they are working on that problem. What I would like to know from any Steel City owners is: how smooth does the machine run? The couple of Jet minis I have turned on in the past have been incredibly smooth running. Like after they come up to speed it is hard to even tell they are running.

How would you owners describe the smoothness of the Steel City mini?

I think that is my only remaining issue, otherwise I am sold on this machine. The floor model at my local Woodcraft has a bad lower pulley, so it won't answer this question for me. They have new ones due in the next few days and said when they get them they will plug one up for me.

Thanks,
Steve

follow3

Bumpity Bump

Originally posted by follow3

Hey All,

Other than the switch, it seems to be a good machine at a great price.

I am going to buy either this one or the Jet mini, but after seeing the HUGE price increase in the Jet model over the last 30 days, I am thinking of going with the Steel City.

I am not hugely concerned with the switch issue, it sounds like they are working on that problem. What I would like to know from any Steel City owners is: how smooth does the machine run? The couple of Jet minis I have turned on in the past have been incredibly smooth running. Like after they come up to speed it is hard to even tell they are running.

How would you owners describe the smoothness of the Steel City mini?

I think that is my only remaining issue, otherwise I am sold on this machine. The floor model at my local Woodcraft has a bad lower pulley, so it won't answer this question for me. They have new ones due in the next few days and said when they get them they will plug one up for me.

Thanks,
Steve

dcavazos2000

My opinion About the Steel City Lathe:

So far i have done several Pens (about 200) Pepermills, Bottle Stopers and
some small bowls

Quality of the Lathe
As we all know the electric switch is not the best quality and also is a sever safety issue because is the only switch to shut the equipmen off

At my 5 pen, the Tailstock wheel was loose so i had to apply some elbow greas inorder to prevent this for happening again it happen two times

Performance
The electic motor is working great and also the electronic speed control;
If you are turning a un-balance chunck of wood for a bowl or something similar, i found that the lathe stops and then it goes to the setting speed

This electric switch issue in not new Jet Lathes have had this issue in the past
but now the new ones have a better switch

Overall i will say that I'm Happy with the Steel City Variable Speed Lathe and it was a good option

With some changes my lathe is now a state of the art equipment. Emergency Stop, Sensors and some other add-ones like electric relays and some other items

If you are going to buy a Steel City lathe and you are making a comparation between the Variable Speed and the regular lathe, you will see that the electric motor is different in size; this is because the difference is AC motor is bigger than a DC motor

wood-of-1kind

Purchased one as a Christmas present to me. Have not taken it out for a test drive yet. My Jet 1014 is doing just fine still and has prevented me from opening up the Steel City box. I purchased the SC lathe for the VS feature and the 'value' pricing ($279.00).

wood-of-1kind

Purchased one as a Christmas present to me. Have not taken it out for a test drive yet. My Jet 1014 is doing just fine still and has prevented me from opening up the Steel City box. I purchased the SC lathe for the VS feature and the 'value' pricing ($279.00).

Update, I've replaced the sh-t s switch once already on the VS. Gone bad once again. Very frustrating since I like every other aspects of this tool.

hewunch

Update, I've replaced the sh-t s switch once already on the VS. Gone bad once again. Very frustrating since I like every other aspects of this tool.

Same happened to me. I bought a footswitch from HF. Now it works great! And I love the fact that I have both hands free when I turn it off

bitshird

I have a 3 year old Steel City 6010 and yes the on off switch went out fast, so did the replacement, so I made a small plate and put in a 3.99 toggle switch and it's been a work horse, the new granite beds are supposed to be fantastic, (unless you get stupid and drop a chuck or something.)

Pen&FishingCT

i bought mine about 3 years ago and all i can say is that i took a bad axx beating since i bought it,and i use it just about 2-3 times a week..i turned about 1k lures and some pens and still kicking.it was noisy a while ago and i greased the bearings and good to go.
thumbs up for me.

Top Bottom