static electricity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I'm turning some PR blanks I made and the shaving are sticking to everything, me the rools the lathe anything nearby. I don't have a vac setup yet is there a way to stop the shavings from sticking to everything?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I'm turning some PR blanks I made and the shaving are sticking to everything, me the rools the lathe anything nearby. I don't have a vac setup yet is there a way to stop the shavings from sticking to everything?
throw them away and use wood. :eek::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, not really, kind of the nature of the beast.

IPD_Mrs

I have thought about rubbing my hands and skew with a dryer sheet but have never tried it. When I am doing more than one I will set up the vac and it just streams into the vac.

ctubbs

Static becomes a real problem anytime the air dries out. Adding some humidity to the shop should help a bit. The problem of using grounds to kill static is it is all black magic. I have been using grounds in industarial settings for years. All we do is keep tying wires from objects to ground until it clears up. I know, not much help, but working with high dilectric plastic taught me a lot about static. Best of luck killing it.
Charles

Papa mark

Dryer sheets do help some but not enough to stop all the flakes from getting on you but it does make it a little eaiser to get them off of you and into the DC. You can build shield that will flip down over the turning and the tool that will help deflect the chips in to the DC.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Live with it

Usually static electricity on suseptable items will happen when you rub them with a dissimilar material no matter what you do. Luckily it ain't likely to ruin your pen like it will integrated electronic components...

Top Bottom