Statesman Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MuddyWater

I have a Statesman that I am wanting to remake. I have been able to disassemble the pen except for getting the trim ring and plastic sleeve out of the brass tub of the cap. Is there something I am missing? I have a punch that fits in the cap, but it does not seem to move the plastic sleeve at all. Any advise about how to get this sleeve out of the cap tub would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MuddyWater

I tried using the largest punch that would fit, but no luck. Do you use a punch block in combination with the punch? If so, what size of hole in the punch block would you recommend? Thanks.

JimMc7

Sorry -- should have paid more attention -- you said Statesman -- measurements I gave are for Jr Statesman. Same principle would apply but I don't have a Statesman to measure.

Chasper

Use a bigger hammer and hit it harder.

For the most part that solution applies to anything mechanical that doesn't want to respond the way you expect.

penmanship

seeing as you're re-making the pen, I have found the only way to get that little sucker off is to "peel" the brass off that part. I have trashed the plastic part attempting to reverse the process with a transfer punch. A well placed set of side cutters, or needle nose pliers, a bit of finesse, and some new brass.

(if not, try hitting it harder......:biggrin:)

Good Luck with it,
Tim

rcflyer23

I had the same problem. I hit harder and I actually broke the plastic part. I need to order a new one. Good luck getting it out. It is a bear.

GaryMGg

I've disassembled a few Barons; while they're sized different, I believe the basic principal is the same.
I used a drill press to disassemble it -- rather than hitting it, I pressed the parts out.
I'm trying to remember the exact procedure 'cause it's been a long time but IIRC, I turned a wood block the proper size to allow me to press the plastic fitting out.

Bernie (Brokenbit) gave me the idea. Find Bernie and email him to ask the question.
He doesn't get online too often and may not see this thread.

HTH,
G

MuddyWater

I got it out by hitting it with a punch. If I have to do it again I will turn the block that others have spoke about and press it out. I think there is to much room for error in using the punch and causing damage to the pieces you are trying to get out. Thanks for the advice.

fernhills

I just took one apart. tried the hammer and punch no luck, as others worked, but this Statesman did not. Mounted onto my collect chuck and turned most of the brass away. then pried the rest of the brass off. And said aHHHH good. I will try the press routine next time. Carl

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It is a LOT easier to get a new blank and tube than it is to get a replacement
for that plastic insert.

Like mentioned before, peel away the brass. Cut as far as you can and then use
pliers like the key on a can of anchovies

JimMc7

It is a LOT easier to get a new blank and tube than it is to get a replacement
for that plastic insert.

Like mentioned before, peel away the brass. Cut as far as you can and then use
pliers like the key on a can of anchovies

Peeling away the brass works like a champ if you don't want to salvage the finished cap....but,

The "press method" has worked for the 7 times I've used it without damage to threads, blanks or the inserts: 2 JSIIs, 3 JGIIs and 2 Barons. Couple of times because I wanted a better finish and the rest because I wasn't happy with grain or acrylic pattern match between cap & pen portion.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think I've successfully removed the threaded insert .. once.
After two Jr Statesman kits turned into spare parts due to missing
inserts, , I decided that the tubes were cheap enough..:tongue:

JimMc7

I think I've successfully removed the threaded insert .. once.<snip>

That pretty much matches my record with the hammer and punch -- try the press method -- you'll like it! I'll send you a replacement insert if it doesn't work :tongue:. Fine print: Assuming you've pressed the insert in and haven't glued it!

Top Bottom