Statesman Drill size on upper barrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello, I noticed that the large statesman calls for 37/64 bit. After I drill into wood I notice that the center portion of the barrel is too snug for the tube. I noticed this on 4 different wood barrels with 2 different 37/64 drill bits. I tried holding the blank with a pliers to ream it out more on the drill press and it does not work. I tried using a 15mm bit and it is to big and creates too thin of an edge at the bushing.

Has anyone figured out a fix for this?

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
Hi Nick,
In the past I've had the same problem with other larg drill bits as well. The conclusion I've come to is that I was drilling at too high a speed and the wood was heating up quite a bit. This causes the blank to 'move' ever so slightly and that is enough to prevent the tube from being inserted. I now drill slowly and have never had the problem since. Give it a try.
Ian

n7blw

I've only made five Statesman pens, but have encountered no problems. Like Ian, I drill at a very slow rpm. I was originally very concerned with blowing up some great blanks because of the large drill size. I slowed the drill press down to its slowest speed and cleared the hole every 1/8 inch of depth, or so. The Coco and Kingwood blanks came out fine. You might want to check with Joe(igran7)about potential problems. He's made several hundred Statesman pens.

Randy_

Another thing you could do is tape a 1/2" wide strip of 400 grit sandpaper to a piece of 1/4" dowel or a long nail with the head cut off. Then chuck the dowel in an electric drill and gently remove a tiny bit of wood from the inside of the hole.

I have used this trick with a smaller nail and a piece of 600 grit sandpaper to polish out a bushing that was a little tight on a mandrel.

Be sure you wind the sandpaper on the dowel in the proper direction so it will stay "wound" when the drill is turned on.

Rifleman1776

Ian may have hit the answer. I use slow speed when drilling, about 500 rpm for 90% of all my drilling needs, pens and otherwise. For pen, I withdraw frequently to clear chips and allow cooling. You may want to try just putting the bit back in the chuck and turning the blank by hand. That may ream the tight center just enough to solve this problem.

Nickfff

Thanks for the replies. I have been drilling at alot higher speed. I will reduce the speed on the next round (no pun intended).

Thanks,
Nick

Top Bottom