Statesman cap un-screwing too easily.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Guys,

I encountered this question at Woodnet (not my experinece) but decided to ask for my own education.

The guy made 3 Statesman RB and gave away two keeping one for himself. All three were kept clipped in their pan pockets and all 3 got unscrewed and messed their pants.

Anyone here encounter this?

His question is what can be done to prevent this from happening? Is it so because these pens are supposed to be desk pens? If all else fails maybe use a case? :D

I will pass any information to him BTW.

Thank you,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Dario,

I am not sure that the pens are necessarily designed to be desk pens, but they are very heavy. Also the barrels are so large that while rolling around in a pocket, I could see that that caps would work loose. I make small soft leatherette sleeves (Yes I learned how to sew as a child) for the pens to go into for daily carry. They are soft and light. They are snug enough to keep the caps on though. Might be a remedy only.

I have a sold a few Statesman's / Gents and they usually go for me to the people that have a nice desk at home. I have been making small wooden (Mostly Mallee) bases/ stands to go with them too. A nice added touch in my opinion.

To answer your question though, I don't think it is really a design problem, it is a just a big ol pen.

Fangar

reed43

You can put a very small o-ring from your local hardware store on the threaded part so the cap screws up snug to the o-ring, and this will stop the problem. Have used it on several barons, and workes ok. Reed

JimGo

I have that problem with my Emperor, and I've had the same thing happen with my Jr. Gent. Unless I intentionally screw the cap down fairly tight, it will work free over time. I had a nice temporary black tattoo on my thigh a few weeks ago from it! Thankfully, it didn't get onto the outside of my pants.

pete00

yup...happens to me all the time. I carry them in my shirt pocket for testing and "display"
Carry Emperor, statesman and jr statesman. Lately i find myself tighting all of them every once in a while.

I have a new expense for woodworking, dry clean bill to get ink out.....[:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by reed43
<br />You can put a very small o-ring from your local hardware store on the threaded part so the cap screws up snug to the o-ring, and this will stop the problem. Have used it on several barons, and workes ok. Reed

I do this on occasion on other things that tend to unscrew easily. I have thought about this for pens in certain cases but have not applied it. Thanks for pointing out that this works for you.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Welcome to the world of the fountain pen. Yours is not a new problem, or a problem with any particular pen. It's just that most of the world has never carried a fountain pen before. There are old lessons that have to be re-learned.

Fountain pens leak. It is their nature to leak. They leaked 60 years ago, and they leak today. Their caps come unscrewed and they leak even worse. We learned that they took some special care to prevent ruined shirts, and every kid learned to never carry a fountain pen in his pants pocket. And, now you know why pocket protectors were invented - to capture the leaking ink.

Leaking and the filling mess are the #1 reasons why the retractable ballpoint has totally replaced the fountain pen in the shirt pockets of the World's office workers.

Added after reading Dario's message again.
You can substitute "roller ball" for everything I said about a fountain pen. The only difference is that the nib has been replaced with a roller ball, and you don't have to fill them. The ink is still a liquid, and they still leak when the cap comes off.

alamocdc

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />And, now you know why pocket protectors were invented - to capture the leaking ink.

Hence the term "pocket protector". [:p][:0]

Now excuse me while I go make like a fountain pen.[}:)] Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

LanceD

I ruined three pairs of jeans by keeping my Jr Statesman rollerball in my pants pocket. Now I keep it a leather case from AS. It's a little more bulky but haven't ruined a pair of jeans since.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You can substitute "roller ball" for everything I said about a fountain pen. The only difference is that the nib has been replaced with a roller ball, and you don't have to fill them. The ink is still a liquid, and they still leak when the cap comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom