State Tree Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ThomJ

I'm in the process of turning pens with the blanks from the state trees. I coulkd use some help getting blanks from all 50 states trees, District of Columbia, and the US Territories.

Thom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Delaware Blank

I'm in the process of turning pens with the blanks from the state trees. I coulkd use some help getting blanks from all 50 states trees, District of Columbia, and the US Territories.

Thom
Delaware's state tree is American Holly...I'll see if I have a blank.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I thought about that very idea but have been too lazy to get it completed (or started for that matter). Let me know via PM if you need a cottonwood blank from Nebraska.

Landon

Nate Davey

The North Carolina state tree is Pine, I can send you a blank of that if you need it:biggrin: Would certainly like to see the entire completed project. All the different woods would be very interesting.

Last edited:

ThomJ

I would really like the wood to be from the state it represents, even though some states share the type of tree as the state tree

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I would really like the wood to be from the state it represents, even though some states share the type of tree as the state tree

In some cases that may be a challange. Some states deem the state "plants" to be a protected species. In CT for example, the Mountain Laurel is the state flower and it is illegal to harvest this shub in any way. It is OK to harvest the CT state tree, White Oak.

You need to do your homework to make sure you don't try to get a protected tree. I don't know the rules for all the states, just enough to realize I would need to be careful.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thom

I have some Flowering Dogwood that was cut in VA.

Happy to send you a few blanks. PM me your address.

sailing_away

The Florida state tree is the palm tree. Not sure how well that will turn. The state flower is from orange blossom. Wood from an orange tree is much nicer. I can get either. Please send PM if you are interested.

snyiper

Md state Tree is the white oak. Dc is The gossip tree...just kidding it is the Scarlet Oak never have see that for sale as a blank.

ThomJ

Oh its half the battle finding some of these woods. Half I don't expect to find as blanks, just pieces. or a branch trimming.
I'm doing lots of web searching.

SDB777

Oh its half the battle finding some of these woods. Half I don't expect to find as blanks, just pieces. or a branch trimming.
I'm doing lots of web searching.

Arkansas is pretty easy....we don't really have a favorite pine. Go figure? Couldn't even pick a pine tree, are we lame or what!!!

Scott (maybe you could turn the pine cone) B

Daniel

Thom, Just some info to add to your database. Nevada has two trees Single Leaf Pinyon Pine and the Bristlecone Pine.
I am pretty certain the Pinyon is illegal to posses any part of. It is a very small slow growing pine and rare even here. I am not certain about the Bristlecone but I think it was added as an alternative that is not illegal to have though.

ThomJ

Thanks Daniel, I couldn't find any restrictions, but I'll take some bristlecone, since its shares the offical status. I don't want anything to do with endangered species. I read about how they cleared thousands of acres of pinon pine.

greggas

Tom;

Being from Massachusetts I can give you some nice American Elm ( figured or burl...your pick) if you do not have.

send me a PM if interested...I have most of the others also if you are having trouble finding any.

sbwertz

I cut five different pieces of paloverde and every one of them had longitudinal cracks all around the heartwood. The branch was only about 2" in diameter, and I couldn't get a decent blank out of a 30" branch.

paloverde%20%5B320x200%5D.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom