Starting first American Rollerbal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Just getting ready to turn my first American Rollerball. Just a question: This will be the first pen I've tried, that has to have a part done. Any suggestions that will help me prevent blowing out the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregMuller

Take it slow when parting. I seem to have the blowouts when I get too aggresive with the parting tool. I also use a 1/16 tool first and then finish with the 3/8 tool.

dougle40

I've made quite a few Parker Double Twist pens that require the same treatment and I use a 1/8" parting tool starting at the inner side of the part , down to the tube then go back and clean it up with the same tool . I find that if you make the inner cut first (on the line that you've marked), you won't have the problem of blowing a blank because you still have material left on both sides .

SoCalSteve

While I've been at this since July, I've turned a dozen or so pens that needed to have a part done. I have to agree with Doug and Greg. I find that having wood on both sides of the part prevents blow out. My only problem is that I've ruined just a few acrylics no matter what method I try. [B)]

G

Your directions should tell you how long the Blank needs to be after it's parted.
If not then it will say"part" off 3/16ths,1/4 what ever the dimension is.
Mark that measurement.
Take your skew(The sharp one) and using the TIP with the lathe running turn off the section on the bushing side of the line,THis will leave you with a bevel rising UP to the bushing.
What you are trying to accomplish is a turned off portion 90* to the blank.This will give you an "edge" to guide the parting tool on down to the tube.
I use this method on my pens including corn cobs.
If you need a tenon rather than parting it off keep an eye on the depth.

KKingery

Thanks Eagle - I turned 2 this morning, and they both worked out great! I can see alot more of these in my turning future. I'll post the pics later this evening, but I can say - they are the 2 best pens I have done yet. I finally got my MM, finally got some decent wood, and the differences are dramatic.

skewzdust

So do you part off before or after you apply the finish? I use a think CA finish, and I've found that I have trouble keeping the corner square during finishing. I've had success parting after finishing but it's a little scary.

G

I've done it both ways.
If you have a kit from Berea there is a ring that goes onve the step bushing where the CB will go.
In that case it is easier to part first and finish.
With Woodcraft kits on the American Flat top that ring is not supplied.
In that case I finish first,sharpen my skew and parting tool, say a prayer to the Pen Gods, nad proceed slowly but deliberately.
If you part first then finish,you may need to take a skew to clean up the tube,especially with a CA finish.

skewzdust

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm using kits from Woodcraft so it does require the sharp edge. Just getting ready to part one off so I'll try the skew trick. And I'll try Berea kits next...I'd rather part off before finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom