Starting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vladsima

Hi, my name is Vlad, from Romania. I am intersted in starting penturning. Basicaly, I have all the requirements but I have a little question: How should be the wood? I mean, dry, but how dry? What's the time limit to be adjusted in the wanted shape? And I am also intersted if the wood should pe provided from the trunk of the tree or a branch is just enough? Thanks in advance, best wishes, Vlad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome Vlad. For pens the wood should be dry. You can use the wood from a trunk or branch, it doesn't matter. Cut it to size, about 1" X 1" X 6" (those are inches) so it dries faster. The type of wood and climate you are in will effect drying time. If air drying they will need to sit around for several months. There are other methods such as microwave, oven, boiling and using DNA. If you do a search on here for 'wood drying" you will find information. I think there is also some information in the Library (link near the top).

Welcome to the group!

okiebugg

Welcome

I spent several months in Moskva in the spring of 72 at the American Embassy. I was an embassy guard with the US Marine Corps.

Wood turning......Go to you tube in the search bar, type in woodturning...You'll have more information than you need in a lifetime

Jim Burr

Banned
Hey Vlad! Welcome to the best habit around! I have plenty of wood (all dry) Happy to send you some.
Okie...thanks for your service! My son hits basic on Jan 6th. I'm a ret. Lt Cmdr and currently on DMAT CA6 waiting for a deployment :frown::frown: Vlad...I have blanks...pm with what your looking for!:biggrin:

Lee K

Welcome!
I am pretty new to turning as well. One thing I have learned, anything is fair game. Trunk, branched, even roots. I have even turned blue-jeans.....

okiebugg

Thanks

Hey Vlad! Welcome to the best habit around! I have plenty of wood (all dry) Happy to send you some.
Okie...thanks for your service! My son hits basic on Jan 6th. I'm a ret. Lt Cmdr and currently on DMAT CA6 waiting for a deployment :frown::frown: Vlad...I have blanks...pm with what your looking for!:biggrin:

Welcome Vlad! ou will start a lifetime love affair with wood. There is nothing more satisfying that creating objects that are beautiful in your eyes, even if they're not beautiful to others

No, thanks for your service. Deployment to Afghan????? I was a senior advisor to the swartzkof team during the first war. What a man. Generals like him are born to lead, not trained. I retired at Pendleton after 35 years service with a SgtMgr rating. Sorry I hijacked the thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom