Starter tools for pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

10scvol

I just received a Jet JPL-358 pen lathe for Christmas. Is this a good starter lathe for pen turning?

What would be a good drill press to use for drilling, sanding the blanks square and pressing the assembly together? Should you REALLY do all of this on the drill press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

I don't have that lathe---so, can't tell you for sure how that'll work out. I was looking at www.woodturnerscatalag.com and the small Jet they showed said it had a 1/12 HP motor. To me that sounds a little underpowered. There should be others here who might know more about this one???? I think if I hadn't used it I might think about trading it for one with a little more HP. You might find you want to do other things too---so, you might want to trade up to a mini lathe---a lot see to like the Jet in the mini size (I thought it was called midi---but at woodturners catalog they list it as mini).

As far as drill presses---I've used one with short travel (a little over 2") and you will have a little more work with that type---but, it is workable and a lot here likely use that type. When I moved I purchased a real good one with more than 3" travel which is nice for drilling all the way through a pen blank. As far as sanding I don't use the drill press for the pen blanks---although my drill press has an oscillating sander option. Any sanding I do I do on a disc sander---I don't use it too much myself---but, some do to square the blanks after the tubes inserted.

Tom McMillan

I didn't mention variable speed---but, that is a good feature to have----I have the small Grizzly (I don't recommend it because it doesn't have a through headstock or tailstock)----but, I do like the variable speed and that would be a good option to have!!

Tom McMillan

Gee, silly me---sorry to post so many 10SCVOL---gee, be nice to have a name???? I'd like to welcome you here to the site too----I see now that this is your first post-----Glad to have you here!!!!! (Did I mention---would be nice to call you by name.) Oh, and when you get to turning---we love photos!!!!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Welcome, 10scvol! I just sold one of those lathes for a friend of mine. He started in to pen turning and, unfortunately, lost interest fairly quickly.

The pen lathe will produce pens. I know because I helped this guy turn several. The 1/12 HP motor is a little under powered so you will need to keep your tools sharp at all times and you will need to take shallower cuts than you would with a more powerful lathe.

Your lathe has a Morse Taper #0 mandrel. Only the standard spindle will fit on this lathe without modification. If you decided to make pens which require the Berea Hard Woods "B" mandrel, you will need to have one cut down for you by a machine shop in your area. I got it done for my friend "out-of-hours" for $10 and some liquid refreshments.

In working with your lathe, be sure to mount it. It's light weight, less than 12 pounds, makes it tend to walk and it can turn over. Use the four corner mounting holes.

The tool rest tightening bolt is operated on the back side of the lathe. Do not be tempted to adjust your tool rest position with the lathe turning. That's asking for trouble.

With the preceding information, you should be able to make enough pens to determine whether or not you truly enjoy the craft. If you do, you'll undoubtedly want to move up. Fortunately, these things sell reasonably well on eBay.

Come back to us with questions when you get ready to buy a larger lathe and good luck in your turnings!

10scvol

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Welcome, 10scvol! I just sold one of those lathes for a friend of mine. He started in to pen turning and, unfortunately, lost interest fairly quickly.

The pen lathe will produce pens. I know because I helped this guy turn several. The 1/12 HP motor is a little under powered so you will need to keep your tools sharp at all times and you will need to take shallower cuts than you would with a more powerful lathe.

Your lathe has a Morse Taper #0 mandrel. Only the standard spindle will fit on this lathe without modification. If you decided to make pens which require the Berea Hard Woods "B" mandrel, you will need to have one cut down for you by a machine shop in your area. I got it done for my friend "out-of-hours" for $10 and some liquid refreshments.

In working with your lathe, be sure to mount it. It's light weight, less than 12 pounds, makes it tend to walk and it can turn over. Use the four corner mounting holes.

The tool rest tightening bolt is operated on the back side of the lathe. Do not be tempted to adjust your tool rest position with the lathe turning. That's asking for trouble.

With the preceding information, you should be able to make enough pens to determine whether or not you truly enjoy the craft. If you do, you'll undoubtedly want to move up. Fortunately, these things sell reasonably well on eBay.

Come back to us with questions when you get ready to buy a larger lathe and good luck in your turnings!

10scvol

What would be your recommendation for a lathe, drill press, etc. to get started? I have very little room for shop equipment at the moment, but will have more room within the next year.

Andy Ryan

Go with the Jet mini with verable speed. Changing belts to adjust speed is such a pain in @##. And don't waste time with a drill press get a grinder with a sharping jig, good wheels, and good tools. This will make your turng so much more fun.

jjudge

You do not need a lot of tools. Some are convenience.

I have yet to get a drill press.
I have 2 pieces of wood glued at a 90degree angle clamped to my table edge.
I use a squeeze clamp to hold the blank in the inside corner ... and just eyeball my hand drill. Go careful and you'll do OK.

I drilled a hole in a square piece of wood, so that I could assemble the pens. The hole holds the nib, so i can tap in the finished pen bottom, then later its transmission.

I've only once broken a finished pen (ambrosia maple crunched when I pounded the nib in :)

I work with lathe, mandrel, turning gouges/skews, rubber mallet and hand drill.

--joe

Randy_

I bought one of the pen lathes a short time ago and made only a few pens before it became obvious that this tool has some shortcomings. For the money you are getting a LOT more for your money with a JET or other mini. List price on the pen lathe is around $150. You can get a mini on Amazon.com for $199 + free shipping and sometimes there are deals that will reduce the cost even more. If you paid list price, you would be better served to return the machine and buy the mini. It is not that much bigger than the pen lathe so shop space will not be a problem.....unless your shop is in a closet.

Jet has announced that prices will be increasing at the first of the year, so you must act quickly if you want the mini.

There is always some debate about the value of the VS option. I don't think there is a consensus about whether it is worth the extra $100. I have the std model and can change the speed in under 30 seconds. You don't change lathe speed very much when doing pens, anyway, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

The mini does not come with chisels, a mandrel or a proper live center as does the pen lathe. I got a live center for $20, an arbor and 2 mandrels for $20 and a modest set of chisels from eBay for $15.

If you really aren't sure about making pens and want a cheap introduction, the pen lathe is probably not a bad choice. Should you decide to really get involved, you could move up to a larger lathe and sell your lightly used pen lathe on eBay for about $75.

Gregory Huey

I think Randy is on the right track. Start with what you have, turn a few pens. Get your feet wet. Then you will be able to make a well informed decision on what will work for you. Oh yea stay in touch with the group and they will help guide you thru.

Randy_

I just checked Amazon.com and all of the good deals are gone!!! Guess they were all pre-Christmas sales. The best deal I see now is
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/index.html $200 + $35 shipping. There are a few auctions on eBay that may turn out with a good price; but you have to watch out for people who pad the shipping charges. Shipping should be $30-$35 unless you live in some far corner of the country. I just had one shipped to me.....sw was 93 lbs.

One more tool you will need is a good shop vac. Even turning little things like pens generates a lot of sawdust!!!!

G

I had the pen lathe and realized it was very poorly made.
I was lucky it was purchased at woodcraft and they exchanged it for the JET mini which is the lathe I originally wanted but woodcraft had them priced $100.00 higher than the going rate.
When I returned the pen lathe they did a price match and I got the mini for $200. total.
IIRC the pen lathe comes with basic tools that I found to work well. Not the best but serviceable.
I still use Harbor Freight chisels and are happy with them.
I have a $10.00 set,cut the handles shorter and they are good for me.
The "on board" wrenches on the pen-making lathe had a tendency to get buggered up in order to get the tail stock and rest tight enough.
for the difference between the pen maker and the mini,Aggravation of the 0 morse taper providing you with limitations I would try to exchange the pen lathe and upgrade to a Jet mini.
Even if you decide that turning isn't for you it will be a lot easier to get rid of the mini than the pen lathe.
Other benefits of the mini is that it can be lengthened to do spindles and it can also turn small bowls.
Your mileage may vary.
I am happy with the change I made.I only wish my shop were larger and I could fit another lathe,full-sized.
I have grinders fast,slow dry and wet.
I also use a belt sander for sharpening
In the beginning you will find that you will screw up more chisels with a grinder than you sharpen unless you either buy or build a jig to help you sharpen them.
I do 90% of my sharpening with a diamond stone.It takes you longer to make a mistake and not very long to hone the edge.
I have put many pens together with various clamps.Eventually you will split the end of one.
An arbor press makes a good pen press,but you can do it on a drill press with a little ingenuity.

Though you CAN make pens without a drill press it is far from a luxury.
If you are looking for a drill press try to get one with 3&1/4 quill travel or more if possible.
yes you can drill with a 2" travel but will soon learn why a longer travel is much more convenient.
Presently I am turning pens with the blanks in one piece(4") and would LOVE a longer travel than the 3&1/4 I have now.
It can be done but it's a pain.
Again these are just my observations your mileage may vary.
Buy the best you can afford and cry once.

Tom McMillan

Good advice Eagle!!! Regarding assembly---I've been assembling pens for a little more than ten years---when I started I had a Quick-Grip bar clamp 6" (mine's made by Vise-Grip tools--don't know if this brand is still made??but I know there's similar). I still always use that clamp to assemble with---it does take a soft touch though, so I would advise if you used this type of clamp to be cautious not to push the transmission in too far which is easily done (then you'll be in the market for a disassembly tool). I continue to use the clamp, even though I've had an arbor press for a couple years that's never been used---really have to try it someday soon. 10scvol---Let us know how thing's go for ya when you do start turning!!

G

THanks for the memory jogger Tom.
I found that any type of "screw" clamp was easier to use than the QG type because the latter made it hard to control.
Sometimes the "clutch" slipped and when it grabbed I would insert the transmission too far.
That and an occasional misalignment with subsequent blow out and ruined pen got me using a screw type Bessy.
I now have the discontinued Grizzly hand punch press for $14.95 plus shipping.
Much like an arbor press but with a taller capacity.
For what they are and do all pen presses I have seen(running in the $40.00 price range whether they are wood or metal) are over priced offered by retailers that prey on yuppie woodworkers.
Same goes for drilling jigs.I use a couple of blocks in a DP machinist vice.
If I get to Grizzly this week I may get 2 v-blocks(sold in pairs) and sell one (maybe)
total cost for one?less than $10.00.
My present set up works well but has limitations.
2 wooden V-blocks and a machinist vice.I have drilled over 400 pens with it and works fine,it is certainly not worth$40-$65 to replace it.

woodspinner

Welcome to the forum. Tell us your name and where you live.
As said by several of the others, see if you can trade up to a Jet 1014. Mine sits on top of a mechanic tool chest with wheels and works great. Drawers for tools and larger drawers for other stuff like pen kits.
I like a 3"+ travel drill press, table top is fine, so I can make my own pen blanks and do the barrel trim.

Good turning and be safe
Bill in Casa Grande, AZ

Randy_

I use a little table top drill press that cost me about $40, I think. Buy a 1/2"x4" bolt and glue a 3/4" disk of Masonite to the head. Chuck that "tool" in your DP and you have an arbor press to assemble your pens!! Do try to find a DP with a 3" travel. Almost every pen kit has barrel sections that are at least 2-1/8" long. You can do it with a 2" DP; but it is a hassle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom