Starter Kit, YES or NO?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I'd have to check the pricing of the components before I can answer that.

I think one main question is; Do you have a way to drill the blanks yourself? If you don't own a drill press, you'll have to at least buy pre-drilled blanks.

I'd say that at minimum you'll need:

• A mandrel that fits your headstock (#1MT or a #2MT)
  • Some basic sandpaper
  • Some medium CA
  • A round nose scraper (I turned my first dozen pens with nothing but a scraper)
  • A pen mill
  • An electric drill for the pen mill (or drill press)
  • Slimline bushings
  • A slimline kit
  • A sharpening stone.

I think that's it. If I were pressed to buy a kit, I'd buy the #2 option.

Last edited:

randyrls

As I said I never turned a pen and then I have the necessary equipment.

There is a topic or a tutorial that lists the basic components?

Thanks for the answers

Massimo; You are likely to get many opinions, but few definite answers.

I would join the Penturners Group on YAHOO. They have a comprehensive FAQ that includes the tools you will need and a list of "must have", "need", and "optional", tools and supplies. They also have a wealth of information.

I am in both IAP and Penturners and like both.

dntrost

I can tell you I started with the AX beginner kit but I had all of the tools, Lathe & turning tools, Drill Press, Vise, Bandsaw, Ect. Now since then I have bought lots more: :befuddled:
Micro Mesh, Pen Vise, Arbor Press, and then lots of kits and blanks from the good folks on IAP :neutral:

Again I think you will get lots of differant opinions but for me the $70 was a great way to see if it was something I was really going to get into without a major investment.

Today I wonder why I ever got started because it is so damn addictive and the guys here keep raising the bar and challenging you to keep trying new things and spending lots & lots & lots of $$$$$ :curse:

Joe G

I bought individual components. I would do the same again. I would upgrade to a carbide tipped pen mill and buy a disassembler kit as well.

The starter kit will give you some slimlines to work on, other threads on this forum have indicated that they may not be the best to learn on. I would buy some low end kits (funline from psi or apprentice from csu just as an example). Both low end series come in a variety of styles and will afford you the chance to turn different pens.

I have not met anyone that has not enjoyed turning pens and the upgrades will be worth it in the long run.

leehljp

Member Liaison
This is a personal opinion only - but I would not get the super set, but rather one of the smaller sets. After turning about 5 or 6 _pre-drilled_ pen kits, you will start itching to try your own blanks. You will do everything you can to find a decent drill press to make your own pens from wood you pick up here there and yonder, - the yard, cut down a bush, the beach drift wood, a board from . . .

That may sound like I am joking but I'm not. With a few under your belt, your "vision" increases exponentially. Not only my experience but many others here too.

Then after the drill press, you will need a pen vise to hold the blank to drill the holes. Then the fun begins!

RMB

For a pen vise, I recommend, and still use after hundreds of pens, a homemade blank holding device. It's two peices of wood, about 14" long, hinged on one end. Both have a v shaped notch near the hinge that holds the blank vertical. one is screwed to a board that rests on the drill press table. Pretty simple... hard to explain...

cheezy text drawing, top view:

=========^==|<--- hinge
=========v==|

blank goes in the notches vertically, squeeze the handles together to hold it.

Personally I'd buy what you absolutely need first, then keep adding tools as you can afford them... what I do now is buy new tools with money I make selling pens. My first few dozen I gave away as Christmas presents, that saved me theoretical hundreds, which I used to buy more tools and supplies.

Last edited:

Wildman

Already had lathes & turning tools, bandsaw, & drill press, but bought a basic pen making starter kit from Packard Woodworks. Soon learned they are a reseller of PSI, kits & supplies.

Http://www.packardwoodworks.com

While may have made out better buying just a mandrel and few kits, don't regret my purchase. Have turned Craft Supplies USA kits on that mandrel. Have also picked up Mandrels from Berea Hardwoods in order to turn their kits. Also picked up a Universal Barrel Trimming Set form WoodturningZ another PSI reseller along the way.

Http://www.woodturningz.com

rb765

Kits

I started by talking to the guys a a local woodworking place. Bought a mandrel, bushings, a few slimlines, and a set of skews. For drilling the blanks, I used a handheld drill press, one of the kinds that you attach you hand drill to. It was not the most accurate, but it got me started.

JohnU

I would recommend extra tubes. Beginning anything brings mistakes. Be ready to over turn and break blanks. Buy extra tubes!

wicook

I'd recommend buying some slimline kits from Woodturningz (less than $2 each for several coating choices) instead of the starter kits. I'm not entirely sure about the specific kits you mention, but the starter kits I've looked at all have 24kt gold finish on the metal parts...the worst finish you can buy in my opinion. It wears way too quickly to be a product I'd be proud of. Of course, I learned that right here!

gwj

The 28 pc transfer set I bought at the local HF last week is p/n 3577. The regular price now is $9

ldb2000

I think you should go for the PSI basic starter kit . It comes with a good adjustable mandrel , enough kits and blanks to make 10 pens (you most likely won't want to give these first 10 pens/pencils away any way) a set of serviceable turning tools (not the greatest but they work, and the CSUSA kit don't come with tools) and some of the other things you need to get started , and at the price you won't break the bank .
This should be enough to tell you if you like turning pens .

cozee

For a pen vise, I recommend, and still use after hundreds of pens, a homemade blank holding device. It's two peices of wood, about 14" long, hinged on one end. Both have a v shaped notch near the hinge that holds the blank vertical. one is screwed to a board that rests on the drill press table. Pretty simple... hard to explain...

cheezy text drawing, top view:

=========^==|<--- hinge
=========v==|

blank goes in the notches vertically, squeeze the handles together to hold it.

Personally I'd buy what you absolutely need first, then keep adding tools as you can afford them... what I do now is buy new tools with money I make selling pens. My first few dozen I gave away as Christmas presents, that saved me theoretical hundreds, which I used to buy more tools and supplies.

Like this . . .

2008-08-31_131248_HANDVISE.jpg

jking

I made something similar along with a sled so I could drill pen blanks on my lathe without having to invest in a large chuck. I did have to buy a drill chuck, but, it was a much cheaper option.

MobilMan

As far as kits go, stay away from the Apprentice kits from CSUSA. Especially the Slimline & probably the European. The Slim are nothing but JUNK. Using a pen press, the nib will indent where it contacts the hole in the press. Try knocking it out & it will crease outward from the drive punch.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Some people use "tiny urls" two which are listed below:

here

and here

A way to do it manually is to type the html codes seen here:
[~url=" "]here[/url~]

BUT, 1. take out the "~".

. . . and 2. between the double quotes (" ") - take out the space, and place the actual link between the quote marks.

3. using this method you can replace "here" with anything you want, such as "click here" or "and here", etc.

I used this last method for the tiny url links.

Last edited:
Top Bottom