Starter kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

unclefuzzy

I just received a delivery from Woodturningz and inside was their catalog. I noticed a Stabilization starter kit listed. Seems like everything needed is included to get started. And the price seems reasonable. Anyone else seen this and does it seem a good deal? I want to get started casting and this looks like a good way to do it. Any opinion is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Stabilization and casting are NOT the same.

Stabilizing uses vacuum.
MOST people who cast use pressure.

Make sure you know what you want, before you order.
FWIW,
Ed

unclefuzzy

Thanks. I knew what I wanted to ask, just worded it wrong. I guess what I want to do is cast. Pine cones, magnolia pods, corn cobs, etc. Would this do the job or do I need to re-think this? I have tried these items in just "open casting",( just a mold and 2 part mix), with very limited success. I've been turning wood for a while and it's time to branch out.

MarkD

Thanks. I knew what I wanted to ask, just worded it wrong. I guess what I want to do is cast. Pine cones, magnolia pods, corn cobs, etc. Would this do the job or do I need to re-think this? I have tried these items in just "open casting",( just a mold and 2 part mix), with very limited success. I've been turning wood for a while and it's time to branch out.

If you want to cast pine cones, magnolia pods, corn cobs you would probably want to use Alumilite casting resin ( there is a BASH deal for it right now ). When using Alumilite you would use pressure so a "pressure tank" would be used.

A "stabilizing" system is used to inject resin into soft, punky wood and other pourous material and it uses vacuum.

Casting and stabilizing are two completely different processes. If you search for "casting" you will find lots of information on this site.

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

You need a pressure pot and compressor to help in reducing the bubbles in casting, using PR or Alumilite. Stabilization and vacuum has little to do with casting.
Tim.

low_48

And just to keep you confused. You might want to stabilize corn cobs before casting. LOL I can't say I've seen cast corn cobs though. I was around when the first corn cobs came out of the old chicken house and became the first corn cob pens made. So I'm a thin CA guy with those anyway. Ah heck, just buy both systems! Turns out that first corn cob was over 10 years ago. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/first-corncob-pen-10178/

Last edited:
Top Bottom