Starter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDoug

I am just getting started in pen turning. I have some kits, a mandrel, etc. but I need to know what chisels would be best for starting. What are the, say, three types most used for pens and bottle stoppers? What sizes?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. The answer to your question will depend on who answers. For pens and bottle stoppers, I use a 1/2" skew, a 1" round nose scraper and 1/8" parting tool. I don't use a gouge on pens at all, but some people do. It sounds like you're just getting started in turning. Visit the American Association of Woodturners site and see if there a woodturning club where you live. If there is, join it and you can get lots of free help learning how to use the tools.

JimGo

Sounds like Gerry and I use the same tools, except the parting tool. I use a 1/16" parting tool. Except for his obvious error in that suggestion (kidding), he's given you some great advice.

mrcook4570

I started with a 3/8" gouge, 1/8" parting tool, and 1/2" skew. I never really used the skew for the first six months or so - mainly just used the gouge, and occasionally the parting tool for euros. About six months ago, I figured out how to use the skew. I now use it from start to finish on most pens. You can order a dozen different tools from harbor freight for the price of one Sorby. They work great for me. Just make sure they are the HSS tools.

DocStram

pdoug ..... there is no single correct answer to your question. It depends on who replies. In addition to the above tools ... I'd say get yourself a spindlemaster.

PDoug

Thank you all for the input. I have the HF set that I bought to learn with and practice sharpening. I just figured they were too big for pens. I did turn my first bottle stopper today using them and it can out pretty good. Guess I will give them a try on a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom