Star's and Stripe's pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dplloyd

When I sand the lower protion of the pen the red bleeds into the white.

What could I be doing wrong and how do I correct it:confused:

I am sanding down and not using any BLO or anything on these.
Using CA as a finish that works really great.
Sanding at the same speed I'm turning.
I start @ 120 and progress to finer grit.

Thanks!

Pat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I've never made a stars and stripe pen. If the white is holly it will be a bear to sand without discoloring the holly. My only suggestion is don't sand it until you give it a soak in thin CA and get the holly sealed. That is only a guess though. If the white is still messed up from the red, i would try to lightly skew the pen to see if I could get the bleed out of the white, if you can i would do the ca before i sanded and I would start with a much higher grit, maybe 400.

Drstrangefart

Yeah, I would just use the skew instead of sanding. Had that problem with bloodwood staining the acrylic segment I put in it. If you skew like a champ, sanding's an afterthought anyhow.

its_virgil

If you purchased the stars and stripes kit from kallenshaanwoods then the white is not holly. Kallenshaanwoods uses stabilized wood but sanding can still be problematic. Using a skew and not sanding is an option. If I sand the stars and stripes kit I use a sanding sealer prior to sanding and just sand a little then apply more sealer. I do use a skew and start sanding at 320. Using sanding sealer after each grit does take extra time but is worth the effort to keep the red from getting on the white. If I don't think I need to sand I apply my finish after making my final cut with my very sharp skew.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

When I sand the lower protion of the pen the red bleeds into the white.

What could I be doing wrong and how do I correct it:confused:

I am sanding down and not using any BLO or anything on these.
Using CA as a finish that works really great.
Sanding at the same speed I'm turning.
I start @ 120 and progress to finer grit.

Thanks!

Pat

dplloyd

Just a Thank You to all that replied. Good ideas one and all.

I have an order for a dozen TX Flag pens so I'll try these suggestions out. Been practicing more with my skew on some cheap stock. I have ruined some cheapo and some expensive blanks with it already.

I'll repost on this thread and let you know how they turn out.

Drstrangefart

Just a Thank You to all that replied. Good ideas one and all.

I have an order for a dozen TX Flag pens so I'll try these suggestions out. Been practicing more with my skew on some cheap stock. I have ruined some cheapo and some expensive blanks with it already.

I'll repost on this thread and let you know how they turn out.

Just make sure your skew is super sharp, and use a delicat touch. Also, avoid usint the point or the area near the point at all costs. It will ruin a barrel in a hurry. I have one where that tip is rounded down and there's a super slight curve to the rest of the edge to make it more beginner (me) friendly.

dplloyd

Yeah I try to keep it turning on the middle of the blade. The edge does have a slight curve on it.

ME thinks ME biggest problem is not enough PATIENCE! Never been my strongpoint.

Drstrangefart

Yeah. I usually have a stereo going so I have something else to keep my mind off how long it's taking. And help establish a work flow. It makes a difference for me.

Top Bottom