Stars & Stripes... HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When you insert the stars, should they go all the way (or close) in? I can only get them to go in about half way. If I try to press harder, they break. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. (Note- I am dipping them in warm water and soap solution before inserting.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

Make sure you follow the directions. I don't have the instructions in front of me but I think the white end goes into the blue field first. I also have quit using anything but (to quote penman1) "80 grit turning tool. Also I size them for the Sierra Vista.

Make sure you follow the directions. I don't have the instructions in front of me but I think the white end goes into the blue field first. I also have quit using anything but (to quote penman1) "80 grit turning tool. Also I size them for the Sierra Vista.

Thanks Larry. I am putting them in "white side" first plus visually that is the smaller side. But they will only go down about half way. If I press any harder, they break.

edstreet

This should clear things right up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you note how much material you need to take off then note how deep the cut out runs then you can quickly see how deep they need to be pushed in.

Don't bother with forcing them in but put all of them in then roll the tube and that will push them in evenly.

Attachments

• IMG_5189.jpg
    IMG_5189.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_5229.jpg
    IMG_5229.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 593

76winger

Ed's pics are the best. That's about how mine look once I've got them in as well. My first attempt was assembling dry and that didn't end well...

Dipping in water is all the lube I've needed.

ShopMade

Those stars are tedious! I have mine about half done and I can't bring myself to go back to it. Why do there have to be so many states??

dplloyd

Richard I dip them in a diluted soapy water, use the pointy exacto to stab them in. I will then use the body of the exacto to help 'roll' them in. They will stick out a bit per Ed's picture. Sharp tools and easy does it on these. I've made quite a few of these. NICE PENS!

Rangertrek

I just cheat.... i use epoxy mixed in some white paint :cool: let it set some so its not to thin....

Another option is to use drywall spackle. It dries white and makes a nice contrast to the blue background. I apply with a pop sickle stick and push in the holes. Yes - this is cheating a bit; but, I like the white look.

joek30296

To quote ShopMade: "Those stars are tedious! I have mine about half done and I can't bring myself to go back to it. Why do there have to be so many states??"

At least there aren't 57 states.......like your President says.

Last edited:
Top Bottom