Stars and Stripes Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Oh My God! why did I order this kit? I opened this tiny lil package and thought to myself, "what the heck did I do"? This thing is tiny! I'm gonna really have to get my nerve up for this one!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by mick
<br />Oh My God! why did I order this kit? I opened this tiny lil package and thought to myself, "what the heck did I do"? This thing is tiny! I'm gonna really have to get my nerve up for this one!!!

Is that the $45.0o blank your talking about? If it is, let us know results.

mick

Yeah Frank that's the one! Scarey lil thing. Stars so tiny I'll have to trade my bi-focals in for a microscope!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There's nothing to fear, guys. Heck, the stripes are nearly 1/8" wide and the five-pointed stars (that have to seat in five-pointed cutouts) are close to 1/16"! There's only 50 of those little stars, too! [:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mine arrived today also... gonna take a while for the heavens to be in proper alignment before I get around to it... besides the Druid is still on vacation and the Tarot card reader went back to her job at WalMart..
Definately gonna be a Mag Eyes project... them stars is tiny...

woodpens

I have my two kits still sitting on my workbench beside my first failed attempt. I didn't get the stripes seated deeply enough and sanded through some of them. I am confident that I won't make the same mistake twice, but I am waiting until I have enough time on my hands to be totally relaxed. I've got 15 pens ordered ahead of these currently. It will most likely be a few weeks before I get to them.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
You definitely have to make sure that the thinned glue softens the stripe enough to allow it to be fully seated. The final result is worth it. This Jr Gent is done in Platinum.

200551332034_Stars%20and%20Stripes%20Jr%20Gent.jpg
<br />

alamocdc

Very nice, William. I hear you, Mick. As much as I'd like to have one, I'm not sure I'm ready for something like that just yet. My hat definitely goes off to those of you with the... let's just say nerve to attempt it!

wayneis

Are the stripes glued to the tube or onto a blank or what? And how does it work with the top, do you just get a round blank with stars shaps cut out of it? If this is what I'm thinking them what this mostly intales is sanding and finishing but there's nothing wrong with that as its probably for most people the most difficult part of making a pen. At least thats the way that it is for me, the turning is the easy part.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wayne--You get two blanks, drilled, tubed and rounded to about 1/16" of final dimensions. The top blank has 50 cut-outs for the stars and is blue, dyed maple or poplar burl. The lower blank has cutouts for the 7 white stripes and is red, dyed maple of poplar burl. Ken has also cut these blanks in other colors and materials. The inlays are done with thinned wood glue. It's quite time consuming. The remainder of the pen requires turning the blanks down a bit, then sanding and finishing. I agree with you, the turning to round is the quick and easy part of making a pen. The difference is in those last millimeters and in the finishing.

laserturner

Hi to all,
Thanks Lou for your very accurate explaination of how the kit goes together. Also, thanks for the link to my website that shows the pieces that come with the kit.

Any one who has a problem with either barrel on the kit (for any reason), e-mail me at kallenshaan@cox.net and also send me back the damaged barrel and I'll send you out a free replacement. That will take the concerns out of spending the money on the kit and not ending up with a quality finished pen and it will also help me find out how I can improve on this and other kits in the future.

coach

Ken,
Do you have any other pen kits in the works? I imagine the possibilites are endless. I might buy on of those blanks, then look at it everyday to remind me I'm not very good yet! LOL

laserturner

The tux pen is definitely in the works. The color combinations are endless. They could even be matched to real-life wedding party situations as gifts for the best man, ushers, with matching tuxedo colors. I've also been spending a bit of time putting together some different state flag pens that would work well as kits. As you say, the ideas never stop. Unfortunately, neither does the clock so I don't have any real dates for any of these yet. I do hope to take a few of the tuxedo pen ideas to Provo next month.

mick

Stopped by HF today, bought a bunch of lil clamps as Kens suggests in his instructions. I'm gonna start gluing up tonight...maybe...possibily...I might.....lol I wonder if Tom has that Druids phone number?[:D]

OK...here's a stars and stripes update...Since My shop still ism't ready I'm still turning outside, bad news It rained me out today, and I'm tryin to get ready for our big Balloon jubilee Art show[:(] Anywho.. I came in, got brave and the result...our flag to be has one stripe and all 50 states are represented!
Ken does a great job on those kits( those stars fit sooo sweet) and if the rest of the stripes go as well as it has so far...it's gonna be a great kit to work with. Not near as daunting as I first thought.
Everyone needs to break down and get one!...pssst Ken when can I expect my "Free" prototype tuxedo kit?.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom